Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Eczema help, please!

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 8:03 pm
Parents who've been through this, what have you found that works?
DD has had some eczema on and off but in the past regular moisturizers seemed to keep it at bay (either that or it would just go away on its own anyway, I haven't figured it out) and occasionally I'd use a bit of hydrocortisone if it got really bad, but now it's been awful behind her knees and just seems to keep getting worse. Help? Our pediatrician said it's not good to use hydrocortisone for too long or over a large area of skin, and her irritation seems to be spreading, so while I used some today because it seemed so bad I'm wondering if there's a better solution.

octopus

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 8:12 pm
maybe you can google bleach baths/eczema. I know it sounds bizarre, but my sister's kids who all have terrible eczema have wonderful clear looking skin.

26teach

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 8:18 pm
Get him an allergy test!! My brother had it when he was little and the second he stopped eating dairy it was gone!

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 11:34 pm
I had her blood tested for a whole bunch of things and the only allergy was tree nuts. Come to think of it, she was exposed to one of them Thursday night which could explain why her eczema was so bad today... but in general it's been more bothersome before even without allergen exposure. I can't be 100% sure which things we tested for that were negative but I'm pretty sure dairy was one because they did whatever the standard panel is PLUS what I asked for (all the tree nuts and some other things that run in the family or that I'd suspected she reacted to)

The strange thing is that the reason I let her be exposed to nuts on Thursday was because it was a type that she's had before with no noticeable problem, and the number that came up for that on the allergy test was so low that the doctor said it was barely anything and we don't have to worry about those. But this time she got hives. I wonder if it could have gotten mixed up with some other nut at the packing plant...

But when she's not eating her allergens, then what do we do about the rashes? Or now that she's eaten it, what can I do for her skin?

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 11:36 pm
Vitamin D supplements? That made a big difference for my daughter....when we noticed her symptoms got worse when she got less sun.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 11:20 am
Allergy testing didn't show what we see ourselves is a huge culprit....

Have you tried changing detergents? Soaps?

We found many moisturizers made things worse (including aquaphor). We moisturize straight after bath to lock dampness in.

If it's spreading, I would really think there is an exposure to something on a consistent basis...

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 11:38 am
Sometimes it's a temperature/climate thing. I find that in the winter it can be really hard to control eczema, with wind and dry cold and dry heat everywhere. In my experience, Vaseline is the best moisturizer, although it's annoying and messy. If you tend to have low humidity in your apartment, maybe running a humidifier in her room and the living area would help.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 12:53 pm
We've been using the same detergents and soaps practically her whole life, but I guess I could try changing it up just in case...

HY, which moisturizers did you find made things worse? Better?
I used straight vaseline on Shabbos and it didn't seem to help.

We have a humidifier going almost constantly.

Poor baby is so itchy. No more pecans for us, just in case... Sad

bamamama

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 12:59 pm
Here: solveeczema.org. They aren't selling anything! It's a science-oriented mom whose baby had eczema and she eventually linked the eczema to to all detergents. They went to only soap-based cleaners. My ds had like you describe - really bad behind the knees and in the creases of his elbows, also. We went detergent-free and it's gone. His skin is thicker and more resilient (so is all of ours) and, while he still has dry skin, he doesn't get the itchy inflammation anymore. Our ped was amazed at our last visit.

Really. For him, detergent-free was the answer. It's challenging, but worth it to solve this and also to know that you aren't exposing your family to harmful chemicals in detergents (sodium laureth sulfate is a known carcinogen) anymore.

PM me if you want to know what products we use.

ETA: ds' eczema didn't show up until the first winter after he was weaned - he was almost 3 - so his was later-onset as well.

Last edited by bamamama on Sun, Jan 20 2013, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

tizunabi

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 1:00 pm
I would use hydrocortizone/something stronger if needed to get rid of it completely, then start using regular moisturizer so that it doesn't start up again.
I do find that my eczema is a weather thing. Winter is especially bad, sometimes its just about waiting it out.
Also, have you tried oral anti-histamines (I don't use them for me, but maybe they'll help).
Also, go to a dermatologist (and not a GP), sometimes they have more insight into eczema.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics