Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Can you figure this out???

amother

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 8:42 pm
Okay this might seem weird but I never really grasped the concept of math! Any other subject in school I was doing just fine but math! So heres what boggles me: Could someone explain to me the concept of 1 in every 1000 people exercise or 5 out of every 600 people diet etc????? Whats the 'base' number here? Like I understand the term 5 out of every 600 but how many 5 out of every 600 will there be? In other words how do you know how many people they are actually talkin about?

Secondly, whats the point in writing 104.9 people enjoy coke? what the heck is that '.9'???

thanks to any tutor out there for your help!!

naomi2

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 9:56 pm
for the first question, the statistics come from a study done on a very large sample of the population so they can get a feel for the how the population behaves in general. alot of times the study doesn't share the sample size with the reader so technically you don't know if the numbers are accurate.
for the second, when a study is done, they don't interview every person on the planet so again your just getting a really good guess of how the average person behaves. the number they gave you is just an average from the sample. you can get rid of the fraction of a person number by increasing the sample size until the fraction becomes a whole but then the number wont sound as clean
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics