Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What does the name Tzivia mean?
Previous  1  2

Rodent

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 8:12 am
Well I'll be different and say they're far too similar. I'd go with one of the alternatives. I would not give my kids names with the same meaning even if they sounded different.

Miri1

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 9:15 am
Isramom8 wrote:
The only reason they have different vowels is that modern Israeli Jews called their daughters Tzvia instead of Tzivia, like their grandmothers. Tzvia is the modern version. Don't they mean the same thing, a female deer?

These are my thoughts. It's a kind of variant or doublet.
Also, her being the mother of Yoash doesn't change the meaning of the name!
I have a friend called Tzivia who was really bothered though when teachers would try to correct her and tell her that her name is pronounced Tzvia - she didn't consider them the same name!

Reesa

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 10:52 am
I know a couple whos names are tzvi and tzivia!
and Chaim and Chaya
Yehuda and Yehudis.
I think it's cute!

I also heard that tzvia and tzivia are the same name. I believe the correct pronunciation is actually tzvia.

etky

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 2:31 pm
I've actually always wondered about these two names and the relationship between them.
I personally don't know any Tzivia's, only Tzvia's. Tzivia is a name I've only ever encountered in print, usually for an older woman.
I also would not give the name as is if I already had a Tzvi at home. Even if Tzivia has nothing to do with the animal, it sounds way too similar.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 2:33 pm
and I know a boruch and bracha as well as a gavriel and gavriella that are married.

I think its ok but if it bothers u maybe add a first or second name.

(btw to rodent what about if the names mean the same thing but are totaly different- like dovid and chaviva which I am considering. both mean beloved... but no reason to confuse them)

etky

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
and I know a boruch and bracha as well as a gavriel and gavriella that are married.

I think its ok but if it bothers u maybe add a first or second name.

(btw to rodent what about if the names mean the same thing but are totaly different- like dovid and chaviva which I am considering. both mean beloved... but no reason to confuse them)

What about couples with the very same name: Amit and Amit, Noam and Noam, Rotem and Rotem etc. I also have friends who are Noah and Noa, but that's only a problem when they go abroad together.
When a couple like that marries it's just the way things worked out (and it's kind of cute anyway) but when it's siblings it's a totally avoidable situation.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 2:40 pm
I think it is cool if each kid has a name that begins with a different letter. I think it fosters individuality.

b from nj

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 3:38 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I think it is cool if each kid has a name that begins with a different letter. I think it fosters individuality.

Dolly, 2 of my kids have names that start with the same letter & I think they are both their own very separate & unique individuals. The first letters of children's names have NO bearing whatsoever on anything.

Miri1

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 4:29 pm
etky wrote:
I've actually always wondered about these two names and the relationship between them.
I personally don't know any Tzivia's, only Tzvia's. Tzivia is a name I've only ever encountered in print, usually for an older woman.
I also would not give the name as is if I already had a Tzvi at home. Even if Tzivia has nothing to do with the animal, it sounds way too similar.

Tzivia means the same as Tzvia, but the pronunciation of Tzivia is from the Tanach. I'm not sure I would choose to name two kids such similar sounding names. If two people marry with this combo as in the examples brought by other posters, that's a different story - that is cute!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 4:54 pm
b from nj wrote:
Dolly Welsh wrote:

Dolly, 2 of my kids have names that start with the same letter & I think they are both their own very separate & unique individuals. The first letters of children's names have NO bearing whatsoever on anything.

Okay... you're right.

b from nj

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 5:38 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
b from nj wrote:
Dolly Welsh wrote:

Okay... you're right.

I cannot disagree with you there LOL !

amother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 6:29 pm
my name is tzivia and I have a son tzvi. named after differant ppl the rav said it is fine two seperate names. its a beautiful name it stand for female dear. it is also a name from the torah
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names