Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child has insomnia

curlyhead

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 11:34 pm
My 9yo son has insomnia any advice?

He can not fall asleep at night. He wants me to stay in him room till he falls asleep and I can not stay for ages. I don't mind staying for 30 min or so but it normally takes him a lot longer. He is normally in bed by 9pm. I think he gets nervous at night. And now he is starting to get nervous that he will not fall asleep.
A few evening a week he has programs on till 6 and they give out nosh and soda. Could it be the soda keeping him up or the socializing instead of doing a calming activity before bedtime. Should I take him to a DR?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 11:37 pm
cut out the nosh and soda, definitely. calming activity may help. if he's in bed for twenty minutes and not asleep, have him get up and do something for a little bit outside of his room before trying again. anxiety about not falling asleep can certainly make things worse, and nothing causes anxiety like lying in bed not able to sleep.

by all means, speak to your doctor about this.

hop613

Post Fri, Aug 03 2012, 11:45 am
I would definitely find him someone to speak to about this. Once anxiety about not being able to sleep kicks in, it can be hard to get back on track. An experienced person will be able to teach him some relaxation techniques, and how not to let the anxiety ruin the rest of his day.

The fact that he has anxiety about not falling asleep makes me think that he is anxious about other things that are not letting him fall asleep. He may have a combination of insomnia and anxiety, but dealing with the anxiety will hopefully help.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 10:23 pm
my 7 yr old also cannot fall asleep. He takes 1 mg of melatonin but it doesnt help. He keeps getting horrible headaches; prob from lack of sleep. Any help?!

StrongIma

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 9:00 am
take him to a dentist - my toddler couldn't fall asleep at night because of a bad toothache. It's for sure a good idea to have him checked (esp.after all that nosh and soda!)

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 9:13 am
Yes it could be very well the soda etc. Good for you for making the connection!
Some kids (and adults) are more sensitive than others to sugar, caffeine, etc.
Before doing anything else, I would get his cooperation to cut out all this stuff first even for a few weeks though it should take less time to see improvement hopefully.
Hatzlachah

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 12:35 pm
im the last amother- he does not have any nosh or soda- not sure where that came into play.... We only drink water in our home, and minimal nosh for snack- mostly pretzels etc. not sugary stuff.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
im the last amother- he does not have any nosh or soda- not sure where that came into play.... We only drink water in our home, and minimal nosh for snack- mostly pretzels etc. not sugary stuff.
us too, and he still had a rotten tooth - have him checked in any case, even if just to rule it out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics