Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pediatric GYN? DD hurt her private part

amother

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 10:19 pm
5 yr old DD slipped in thebath & landed on a bath toy. Her bottom was bleeding for a few hours so I ran to dr thought she might need stitches & who knows what. Dr said she got abrasion on inner lip of her private part & just leave it to heal, I went back a week later & he confirmed that its healing nicely. Shedoes have a yeast infection on & off since then... Although 2-3 months have past I am very worried about this & keep wondering if it could affect her future? Did it break her hymen? I am a super neurotic worrier & dont really trust my pediatrician. Should I insist on seeing a pediatric gyn? Does that exist?

nyer1

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 10:22 pm
if you don't trust your pediatrician, I think it's time for a new one.

bamamama

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
5 yr old DD slipped in thebath & landed on a bath toy. Her bottom was bleeding for a few hours so I ran to dr thought she might need stitches & who knows what. Dr said she got abrasion on inner lip of her private part & just leave it to heal, I went back a week later & he confirmed that its healing nicely. Shedoes have a yeast infection on & off since then... Although 2-3 months have past I am very worried about this & keep wondering if it could affect her future? Did it break her hymen? I am a super neurotic worrier & dont really trust my pediatrician. Should I insist on seeing a pediatric gyn? Does that exist?
how exactly do you think a cut on the labia or a broken hymen will affect her future? The yeast infection should be checked out.

wispalover

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 12:52 am
bamamama wrote:
amother wrote:
how exactly do you think a cut on the labia or a broken hymen will affect her future? The yeast infection should be checked out.

Obviously all unexperienced men can tell when a hymen is broken, especially when they weren't the 'breakers' and this is all men ever care about. (sarcasm font)

b from nj

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 8:44 am
amother wrote:

Pediatric gynecology is not a field. If you would feel comfortable taking her to a regular gynecologist to allay your fears, then go for it. I doubt the toy ruptured her hymen but I don't claim to be a dr. I'm sure she'll be fine & this incident will not affect her future shidduch prospects.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 6:49 pm
I'm told that in NYC an ob/gyn will not see anyone under 18 years old due to legal issues.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 6:56 pm
For the yeast infection, STOP giving her baths! Help her take a shower instead. Sitting in soapy water is making things much worse. Eliminate sugar and juice from her diet, and give her lots of yogurt with live probiotics. If you can, buy some probiotic capsules and sprinkle them in her food.

For the rest, I wouldn't worry at all. Hymens get broken all kinds of ways, most of them having nothing to do with relations. "Virgin" does not necessarily mean "perfect hymen", it just means that she hasn't had relations with anyone yet. I've yet to hear of a new husband complaining about it.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 6:59 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I'm told that in NYC an ob/gyn will not see anyone under 18 years old due to legal issues.

You've said this before, on a thread of mine many years ago relating to a minor seeing a gyn.

You are 100% incorrect.
Check your facts.

As long as a parent is present, it is no different than a GI doing a rectal exam, or going to a urologist.

Please stop posting incorrect information

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

You've said this before, on a thread of mine many years ago relating to a minor seeing a gyn.

You are 100% incorrect.
Check your facts.

As long as a parent is present, it is no different than a GI doing a rectal exam, or going to a urologist.

Please stop posting incorrect information

Yups.
I went to a GYN at age 17.
I know someone else that used a GYN at 14 for an ovarian cyst and other issues.

b from nj

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 7:05 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

How is that possible with girls getting pregnant younger & younger especially in NYC?!!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 7:05 pm
and I had been seeing a gyn since 12 for suspected endometriosis. After a certain age (I think 15 or so), I started going myself.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 7:07 pm
b from nj wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

How is that possible with girls getting pregnant younger & younger especially in NYC?!!

Exactly.
I used to work in the medical field and saw lab results that were sent to gynecologists for 14 and 15 year old teenagers.

debsters1101

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 7:11 pm
OP I don't think you need to worry but if you do want to take her to a pediatric gynocologist in the ny area my ob/gyn sees kids, I know this because it is one of the options on her phone menu... For obstetrics and gynocology press 1. For pediatric gynocology press 2 :-)
Dr heather Applbaum in north shore/lij
Good luck!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 7:15 pm
My daughter was examined by her pediatrician to find out if her hymen was intact. She was 3 and used a very nasty word with some hand gestures.

My sister is an ob/gyn and she does pediatric gynecology. Girls also need someone skilled in that area in case they have cancer.

b from nj

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 7:20 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter was examined by her pediatrician to find out if her hymen was intact. She was 3 and used a very nasty word with some hand gestures.

My sister is an ob/gyn and she does pediatric gynecology. Girls also need someone skilled in that area in case they have cancer.

I stand corrected. I guess pediatric gynecology IS in fact a field. Who knew?!!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 7:48 pm
MY dr does not see minors. It is not incorrect

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 7:53 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
MY dr does not see minors. It is not incorrect

That is not what you said previously.

What you Doctor does, does not represent every other doctor.
So please do not post false facts.
Again.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 6:09 pm
There is such a thing.
Here is proof:
http://www.northshorelij.com/o.....ology
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics