Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Adenoids removed

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 8:08 pm
My 3 year old son is getting his adenoids removed. can anyone who went through this with their child share their experience. What should I expect? How long is the procedure? how is the recovery? etc// TIA

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:
My 3 year old son is getting his adenoids removed. can anyone who went through this with their child share their experience. What should I expect? How long is the procedure? how is the recovery? etc// TIA

My three year old had his adenoids AND tonsils removed. Long (1-2 week) recovery with constant painkillers.

My 8 year old has his adenoids (only) removed. On the way back from the surgery, he asked to be dropped off at school. I didn't let him, but sent him the next day. That should give you and idea of how the recovery was-and it's supposed to only get harder as they get older!

As far as the procedure itself, it was an hour or so (although we ended up being there all morning with pre and post op etc) and he woke up from anesthesia pretty agitated, which is somewhat typical from what I understand, but was not enjoyable for me. Once the anesthesia wore off and we went home, he felt TOTALLY fine.

I recommend bringing something to do while your child is in surgery/recovery-I was very bored!

Good luck!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 8:38 pm
thanks. We are doing it on friday. There is no schedualed time but it goes by age. Youngest goes first. I am just worried about making it out in time for shabbos..

MimiMommy

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 8:43 pm
My 2-year old had his adenoids and tonsils removed, and tubes put in, all during the same surgery. From when they brought him into the operating room and when they called me back to see him after surgery, it was less than or about an hour, IIRC. I was given a prescription for painkillers for him but he didn't seem to need it; within a day or two he was mostly back to himself. Even leaving the hospital I tried strapping him into his stroller but he kept wanting to get out and walk. The dr. warned of possible light bloody discharge from his nose but my son didn't have anything. His breathing was a little congested-sounding for a couple of days but that cleared up. Very happy we did the surgery - he couldn't breathe through his nose before, and now it's much more comfortable for him.
Good Luck and Refuah Sheleima!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:

OP, I'm removing adenoids and inserting ear tubes next Tuesday for my 3 year old too iyh. So my nerves are with you!

bnm

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 12:53 am
my daughter is having her adenoids and tonsils removed hopefully in the next few weeks. I also have no clue what to expect.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 1:08 am
My son had his adenoids and tonsils removed (hearing test was fine so he didn't need tubes) soon after he turned 3.

We actually had to spend the night in the hospital. The first 3 days were the worst, he was cranky, clingy, and in pain, but I was told to give him regular Acimoli and see if that would do the trick (it did). The doctor wanted him home for 5 days though, and by the fifth day we were both glad to get him back into daycare.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 3:35 am
I have no experience of this why my own children (BH!) but I remember when my younger brother had his tonsils and adenoids removed. He was on a ward with other children, some of whom were having the same surgery and some who were having just adenoids removed and tubes put in.

The ones who were not having their tonsils out recoved MUCH quicker than the ones who did. I mean, I saw them being wheeled out of the theatre back to the ward and as soon as the anaesthetic had worn off they were pretty much back to normal. I distinctly remember one boy punching the air and calling "yeah! I did it!" as he was wheeled back in!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 10:03 am
Not the OP.

I'm doing this exact surgery tomorrow for my 3 yr old iyh. I'm so nervous! These posts somewhat calmed me, but I still fell like I'm going into this pretty clueless.

Any questions I should ask my dr before the surgery? Anything I should make sure he will or will not do?

Also, what do I bring along with us? Books? Toys? Will we use them? Will my daughter want food/drinks as soon as she wakes up?

Any info=great help!

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 10:09 am
I just brought a stuffed animal for DS, I think I brought books but he preferred to watch the TV they had set up for him. The hospital provided juice, but you should bring a few appropriate snacks just in case. It'll be over before you know it!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 12:48 pm
Thanks, Mimimommy!
Anyone else with advice?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 2:12 pm
I didn't read the responses. My almost 4 year old jsut had tubes and adenoids. recovery was fine. Throat really hurt him for 2 days and mildly hurt him for like 4. other than that, he was totally fine. had to eat soft tings for 2 days. got it done on tuesday and was in playgroup by thursday. a week later, its like a distant memory!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 2:15 pm
I am the previous Poster, but my son was jumping around and being wild already while we were in recovery. He never even slept off the anesthesia until the night. He kvetched abt his throat but said nothing abt his ears. be forewarned, he HATES the ear plugs

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 3:57 pm
amother wrote:

Also, what do I bring along with us? Books? Toys? Will we use them? Will my daughter want food/drinks as soon as she wakes up?

Definitely take toys and/ or books. She will need to be kept occupied both before and after the surgery. She will probably want at last a drink if she has had to fast before the surgery and I think they bring food around pretty quickly too so take something with you if there is no osher food available.

My brother had this surgery in the UK and there were plenty of toys and books on the ward which were available for the children to play with but I'd take something along anyway.

I hope it goes well!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics