Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Junior high in Israel, special needs-ish?

merpk

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 5:22 am
Anyone have any names of schools at all?
One that starts with 6th grade would be good, too.
Anywhere near the center.

We're not in Jerusalem.

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 5:25 am
What special needs? Learning disabilities? Behaviour issues? Emotional issues?
I think that when you get an ishur for special needs from misrad hachinuch, they categorize the child under one of the above.
There are different schools for each issue.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 5:31 am
girls/boys
chareidi/chassidish/chardal/DL/Chabad/etc.
north/south
dorm/no dorm

Some details would help.

merpk

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 6:05 am
Boys
Level of dati doesn't matter. (We have a dati-leumi friend shlepping his 10yo son in a Gerer school in Ashdod every day.) But we're ... I don't know, maybe Khardal-ish.
We're middle-ish/south (Rekhovot), so anywhere middle-ish/south.
And either, dorm or not, is good.

And there are behavioral and emotional issues. We're in the middle of having a vaad hasama scheduled, but we don't know anything about the process, we know absolutely zero about our options or the possibilities that could result from this vaad hasama, and we will be at a serious disadvantage when it happens (we don't speak Hebrew too well, for one thing), and we're don't think we'll be given much of a choice in the end.

So I'd like to know what other options there are so I can go into this thing with some knowledge.

grace413

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 6:10 am
Check out www.stender.co.il

They have lists and info on all kinds of religious schools.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 6:14 am
merpk wrote:
Boys
Level of dati doesn't matter. (We have a dati-leumi friend shlepping his 10yo son in a Gerer school in Ashdod every day.) But we're ... I don't know, maybe Khardal-ish.
We're middle-ish/south (Rekhovot), so anywhere middle-ish/south.
And either, dorm or not, is good.

And there are behavioral and emotional issues. We're in the middle of having a vaad hasama scheduled, but we don't know anything about the process, we know absolutely zero about our options or the possibilities that could result from this vaad hasama, and we will be at a serious disadvantage when it happens (we don't speak Hebrew too well, for one thing), and we're don't think we'll be given much of a choice in the end.

So I'd like to know what other options there are so I can go into this thing with some knowledge.

I don't have an idea for you, but try to get a Hebrew speaking friend to accompany you to the meeting.

merpk

I'm familiar with stender.co already, but was posting here to hopefully get some information in English. My Hebrew is minimal.

Tablepoetry

Just a word of advice, if it's behavior and emotional issues. Tread carefully. Ask Israeli friends. If va'adat hasama decides he needs a special school for emotional issues, you will NOT be accepted to any of the regular special needs schools/learning disability. Maybe first, BEFORE going to va'adat hassama, take a look at see what the options are for those kinds of schools. Visit them. See if your son belongs there.

Is he having huge problems, or could he somehow scrape by in a regular school? Because sometimes the latter is better in these cases.
Again, tread carefully. Placing a kid in a school for kids with behaviour/emotional issues has huge repurcussions, on his self esteem, on the types of kids he will hang out with, on whether or not the army will draft him. I would highly advise FIRST seeing if there is a school that can build him up before going this route.

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 6:17 am
Just so you know - once va'adat hasama decides he is special needs, in many /most cases you cannot just register him at a regular school, especially if his needs are behavioural/emotional. You will need a whole new va'ada to requalify him as a regular student.

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 6:23 am
merpk wrote:
we're don't think we'll be given much of a choice in the end.

This. Did you actively schedule this va'adat hasama, or were you forced into it?
Often there are regular schools, not special education, geared to kids with behaviour/emotional problems. These are often a better fit. Unless, again, the situation is really extreme. IME only Israelis with extreme issues send their kids to chinuch meyuchad for emotionally/behaviorally troubled.

merpk

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 6:24 am
chanchy123 wrote:

I don't have an idea for you, but try to get a Hebrew speaking friend to accompany you to the meeting.

Yup, we've thought of that already. Trying to find someone with the time is the next challenge ...

Tablepoetry wrote:
Just a word of advice, if it's behavior and emotional issues. Tread carefully. Ask Israeli friends. If va'adat hasama decides he needs a special school for emotional issues, you will NOT be accepted to any of the regular special needs schools/learning disability. Maybe first, BEFORE going to va'adat hassama, take a look at see what the options are for those kinds of schools. Visit them. See if your son belongs there.

Is he having huge problems, or could he somehow scrape by in a regular school? Because sometimes the latter is better in these cases.
Again, tread carefully. Placing a kid in a school for kids with behaviour/emotional issues has huge repurcussions, on his self esteem, on the types of kids he will hang out with, on whether or not the army will draft him. I would highly advise FIRST seeing if there is a school that can build him up before going this route.

Whoa. This is part of the reason why we're trying to find out options. We honestly have zero clue what could come from this. At this point he's home, because the khonekh they had at school with him is gone, and until they find another khonekh, we don't want him there.

That's why I'm posting here. I need to know the options. We have no way really of finding out otherwise. We can't do the research if it's in Hebrew.

grace413

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 8:39 am
I believe you are entitled to a translator at the vaadat hasama if you tell them you don't understand Hebrew well enough.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 9:07 am
Rav Erman - spelled like that - has a mechina for junior high age boys. I forgot where. (We are in the center. It was some distance, but not crazy far.) It looked good. We ended up choosing a special ed cheder at that time, though.

I think the Jewish Observer ran an article on Rav Erman and his school.

He also advised us about where to send our son as recently as three or four years ago.

I lost his number (my cell phone had a lot of problems).

merpk

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 9:33 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
merpk wrote:
we're don't think we'll be given much of a choice in the end.

This. Did you actively schedule this va'adat hasama, or were you forced into it?
Often there are regular schools, not special education, geared to kids with behaviour/emotional problems. These are often a better fit. Unless, again, the situation is really extreme. IME only Israelis with extreme issues send their kids to chinuch meyuchad for emotionally/behaviorally troubled.

It's being scheduled by the school but at this point I'm not against it. He's having an awful time in school, and at this point the school is almost worthless to him. As long as he's quiet, they could care less if he learns anything at all. And for the most part, he's quiet. But the other kids know it's entertaining to set him off, so he's constantly badgered and just plain doesn't feel safe at school. It's not a situation that can continue.

I'm ready for a better situation for him, and I don't think that "regular schools" will be the solution. The question is if khinukh meyukhad will be appropriate is the next one, because I don't know what khinukh meyukhad will look like here.

We're having him evaluated so we can have an official, on-paper picture of him. We've already had the "didakti" part of the psychodidakti, and it pretty much told us what we already knew. Waiting for the next part.

brocha1

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 3:03 pm
hi my son goes to limudei hashem in yerushlyim its for learning difficulties boys the number is 025002170 rabbi eisenstock my number is 0527116283 chana I live in rbs if u need more info hatzlocha

Isramom8

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 3:08 pm
brocha1 wrote:
hi my son goes to limudei hashem in yerushlyim its for learning difficulties boys the number is 025002170 rabbi eisenstock my number is 0527116283 chana I live in rbs if u need more info hatzlocha

The menahel is Rabbi Moshe Aisenstark of Maalot Dafna.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 3:09 pm
OP, your son might be recommended to a kita mekedemet. That is a remedial class within a regular school. It is in between regular chinuch and chinuch meyuchad.

OP, you really should first find a class that you like, that has room for your son and is willing to accept him. Then you can present that option after the vaadat hasamah. They can call and ask the menahel if he has space in an appropriate class, and he will say yes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)