Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Whispering .... how rude!!!

Tefila

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 8:05 pm
I am so mad shebamaaaaad Exclamation Here I teach my kids from a young age how rude and impolite it is to whisper in front of others especially when it is obvious like hand on side of mouth. And here comes along a frum couple, adults supposedly Rolling Eyes who whispered like that Exclamation not once, not twice, but a few times during their stay with us.
OOOH I really felt like saying something but I decided neh I probably will not see them again so let them enjoy Rolling Eyes . I mean we do have a house as opposed to a room they could've walked out and talked to their hearts content there but no it had to be in front of all of us, at meal times, at conversational times at the table. I wonder what they were taught growing up shock

What would you have done??.

shopaholic

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 8:07 pm
Probably wouldn't have said something but would have been just as mad. I've been places with DH or a friend & see the same thing. One peron will mutter to a friend who looks over at us. At least tell the friend "not to look yet, but..." Then it's less obvious. I HATE that!!!

mumoo

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 8:18 pm
if the wife and I were alone in the kitchen at some point I might have asked her if everything is ok. if she wanted to know why I asked, I would tell her I saw she was whispering to her husband and that usually means its important enough to not wait until you were in private. if she didnt have a legit thing to say, at least she would know I saw and thought the behavior was questionable

of course its all said with the sincere eager manner of wanting to help Smile
while also realizing, its not always about you-I think thats why we get angry at people who do this because we think they are talking about us

for the record, I agree its rude

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 8:36 pm
Your kids will prob see many things they know you don't do at home. Get used to it and how to respond.

gryp

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 9:03 pm
Tefilah, I would have joined in the fun and started whispering too. Oh, and I would have also started pointing. Very Happy
Sorry you had guests like that. I guess it's just part of life, no?

Tefila

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 9:12 pm
Quote:
Tefilah, I would have joined in the fun and started whispering too

Trust me I was tempted to do the same back, and say alot ... like' I understand it's your first year of marriage so if it's sooooooooo personal you have the guest room downstairs for your hearts content' Twisted Evil .
But my kids were around so I had to set an example(yep what we do for our kids ) What

Mevater

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 9:22 pm
Is it possible that husband was subtly telling wife, or wife telling husband, to give a hand to the host/s with this or that, without embarassing their spouse in front of the hosts, or something along those lines, that couldn't wait until a private time?

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 9:22 pm
Yes I agree pointing is sooo rude...we were at my cousins wedding - very mixed crowd - and this lady kept staring at my daughter and her boots (granted they were unique) and pointing - It got to the point were all my sisters decided to start staring at her and my daughter wanted to go over and ask her if perhaps her or even her daughter wanted to try them on (cause she decided they were just jealous). anyways it was crazy and funny at the same time as rude - we didn't like it but made it into fun. It does leave you wondering though

dr pepper

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 9:25 pm
letsbehonest wrote:
Is it possible that husband was subtly telling wife, or wife telling husband, to give a hand to the host/s with this or that, without embarassing their spouse in front of the hosts, or something along those lines, that couldn't wait until a private time?

Good point. My husband has done that to me embarrassed

Tefila

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 9:33 pm
Nope it was not to help since one good thing about her, is that she offered on her own earlier (Nope she wasn't all bad)......just rude.

ShiraMiri

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 8:18 pm
I have been present in small groups where couples whisper to each other. Usually, it's the wife who initiates the whispering and the husband responds in a similar hushed tone. Sometimes a smirk, a little laugh, and a little look by both in the same general direction follows. It makes me so paranoid! Who are they whispering about? What

shininglight

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 4:23 am
I know newlyweds who do this all the time. It's a newlywed thing - give them a break.

smiley:)

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 5:14 am
And many newlyweds don't.

I have a feeling if as newlyweds they'll do it, they'll do 10 yrs later too. Because if they are immature then, you know some ppl dont grow up.

ShiraMiri

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 1:41 pm
The ones I know did it when they were newlyweds and still do it now 15 years later! I agree with smiley!

shininglight

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 1:45 pm
I don't know ... sometimes I think we should just let things "slide" a little more. Give everyone a break ... let them live their life, and you live yours.

Why are you upset about whispering, really? Is it because you were taught that it's rude? Or because you subconsciously have a little bit of low self esteem and you're worried that they're talking about you?

I don't mean "you" to say the OP - just anyone in general who's uptight about this.

And no, I don't whisper to my husband in public.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette