Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Starting a Food Blog- Help?

Merrymom

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 3:58 pm
I have alot of my own recipes that I invented on a certain website and the way it works is that they own my recipes now. I never really thought I would invent enough recipes to make my own cook book or blog but that's exactly what has happened. I am a very inventive cook and I get calls all the time for my recipes ( where's the completely immodest batting my eylashes emoticon anyway?). So I decided that I think it's time to own my recipes and to stop giving them away, perhaps even have my own cookbook someday iy"H. So do any of you have experience in this and know how to go about it with keeping it all online in the meantime until I'm satisfied with the collection that I have. I want it online because it's easier when somebody calls me for my recipes, I just tell them where to go look. TIA.

Barbara

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 4:08 pm
Merrymom wrote:
I have alot of my own recipes that I invented on a certain website and the way it works is that they own my recipes now. I never really thought I would invent enough recipes to make my own cook book or blog but that's exactly what has happened. I am a very inventive cook and I get calls all the time for my recipes ( where's the completely immodest batting my eylashes emoticon anyway?). So I decided that I think it's time to own my recipes and to stop giving them away, perhaps even have my own cookbook someday iy"H. So do any of you have experience in this and know how to go about it with keeping it all online in the meantime until I'm satisfied with the collection that I have. I want it online because it's easier when somebody calls me for my recipes, I just tell them where to go look. TIA.

From the US Copyright Office:

Quote:
Copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of ingredients. Nor does it protect other mere listings of ingredients such as those found in formulas, compounds, or prescriptions. Copyright protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook.

Only original works of authorship are protected by copyright. “Original” means that an author produced a work by his or her own intellectual effort instead of copying it from an existing work.

For further information about copyright, see Circular 1, Copyright Basics. Note that if your recipe has secret ingredients that you do not want to reveal, you may not want to submit it for registration, because applications and deposit copies are public records.

Deposit requirements depend on whether a work has been published at the time of registration:

If the work is unpublished, one complete copy
If the work was first published in the United States on or after January 1, 1978, two complete copies of the best edition
If the work was first published outside the United States, one complete copy of the work as first published
If the work is a contribution to a collective work and was published after January 1, 1978, one complete copy of the best edition of the collective work or a photocopy of the contribution itself as it was published in the collective work

FL-122, Reviewed December 2011

Hope this clarified your rights in your recipes.

Merrymom

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 4:27 pm
Oh thanks Barbara for that. I do remember having to agree to give up my rights to owning it, so I guess it's the description that they own, maybe the recipe name? Anyway that's good to know, I'd hate to have them lost to me forever when they're really my inventions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics