Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Dairy in Mishloach Manot?

masalapeanuts

Post Fri, Feb 22 2013, 5:39 am
I wanted to make these individual-sized cakes to include in MM. The cakes are dairy. Is it okay to send them? I know a lot of people eat meat at the Purim meal (my family is vegetarian) and MM are intended to be eaten at the seudah, but who actually eats all of the candies they get as part of the meal? Lots of people just snack on a lot of the little things throughout the day. Do you think it's okay to send something dairy?

Isramom8

Post Fri, Feb 22 2013, 5:44 am
In any case, sending dairy MM is muttar. If you deliver them in the morning, there is plenty of time to eat dairy before the seudah. Once I sent mini cheesecakes, and people called me, munching, to thank me for the great idea.

Raisin

Post Fri, Feb 22 2013, 5:52 am
as long as they are clearly marked. Doesn't everyone send dairy chocolate?

And you could technically eat it as part of the seuda...beofrehand, like on shavuos.

little_mage

Post Fri, Feb 22 2013, 6:23 am
I´m sending dairy equipment cookies. I figure as long as it's marked, it's okay. However, is CY an issue in your community? That's the only thing I might be a little worried about.

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Feb 22 2013, 9:52 am
If you are giving homemade dairy cakes, you must mark the cakes as dairy. You can write it on the packaging or attach a note that the recipient won't miss.

ElTam

Post Fri, Feb 22 2013, 9:54 am
We are sending dairy and have gotten plenty of dairy from other people. (We have friends who send breakfast every year.) I label very clearly. I think halacha is that they are ready to eat on Purim, not that they are specifically eaten at the seuda.

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Feb 22 2013, 9:56 am
I've sent dairy in the past. Yum! Just make sure to attach "dairy" stickers on the package. ( or can can write it the old fashioned way!)

masalapeanuts

Post Fri, Feb 22 2013, 2:53 pm
Thanks so much, everyone. I will definitely be marking them as dairy so there will be no confusion. I have separate MM to give to my CY friends. I had a small freakout when my husband said I should make sure they could be eaten during the meal, not just before. But then I thought about all the candy we always end up with. I also don't remember ever receiving dairy so I was worried that there was something I had missed at some point in my learning. The more I use this website the more I love it. Everyone here has been so helpful and kind.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics