Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How many hrs of sleep does a 5 month old need a night?

bsm

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 5:27 am
How many hrs of sleep does a 5 month old need a night?

cinnamon

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 6:19 am
Are you asking because you want to schedual your baby or because you think he is not getting enough sleep?

my five month old has four naps during the day (morning, around noon, around three and then from around seven to 8:30) he is then up till 11-12 (or sometimes 1) and his "night" goes from then till seven-eight in the morning (He wakes up once or twice a night to nurse). Annoying I know but what can you do? schedualling at such a younge age never works for me so I just do my best to go with it.

smss

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 8:18 am
you'll get different opinions, but I found this to be true for my baby- 15 hours total over 24 hours- about 11-12 hrs at night and 3-4 hrs of napping during the day.

ETA: forgot to add that if your baby is doing fine and is happy on less, so great. if he is getting less than that and is cranky/has a hard time falling asleep for naps or at night/wakes up a lot at night, chances are he's overtired.

Last edited by smss on Wed, Feb 27 2013, 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

imaima

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 8:29 am

flyingmum

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 8:31 am
Yes 'smss' I also think a baby that age needs approx. 15 hours total. So it depends how long the baby sleeps during the day.

MMCH

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 9:28 am
5 months was when I noticed a big change in my baby
in like one night she went from doing 945 to 7, with waking up once to the next night, going 7 to 7 straight

she also took two 2 big naps, (like 9ish till 11 and then 1 to 3ish) and maybe a 3rd depending.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 9:47 am
My baby is six months now. Sleeps from about 7 or 7:30 pm to 7:30 am, but with three wakeups in the middle of the night. We're going to try to get it down to two soon.

He takes a nap in the morning at like 9:30 for about 1.5 hours, an hour nap in the afternoon at around 1:30, and sometimes a short third nap for anywhere from five minutes to an hour.

So altogether...about fifteen total. Wow, that's what they said! And he's well-rested and happy, B"H.

lkwdwife2009

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 11:41 am
Look on BabyCenter.com they have a chart, if I remember correctly until at least a year or 18 mos its about 15-18 hours total, so by 6 months 12 a night and then a few naps. Babies develop a lot by getting enough sleep so make sure they get enough.

whoami

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 1:05 pm
Every baby is different. My baby needs so little sleep, it's unbelievable. He is 5.5 months old, takes one 2-hour nap a day, 1 45 minute nap a day and goes in at about 10:30 "for the night" His nisght is over between 6:30-7:30, and he wakes twice to eatin between. He needs less sleep then me, so I am always exhausted. When I asked my ped if this is normal, he said "it is normal for him" Befor everyone starts screaming, he is a very happy playful baby and does not cry a lot. He just does not need sleep, for some odd reason!

StrongIma

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 1:13 pm
are you asking how many hours of sleep he needs or his mom? Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics