Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Tried and true, EASY legume meals

lst

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 5:01 am
I am looking to get more protein into my kids, and would like to use more lentils, beans, etc.
My kids are not terribly picky, but not always willing to try new things, so looking for things that they would like.
Preferably easy, as I work full time.
tia!

curlgirl

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 5:05 am
I make "couscous" soup- whatever vegetables you like (I use onion, carrot, zuchini, pumpkin, celery), chickpeas (I use a can), tomato paste, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and tumeric. Simmer for a couple of hours. Serve over couscous.

little_mage

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 6:07 am
I make bean enchiladas. I use the canned sauce from Target (it's OU) and then just wrap canned beans in tortillas, place them in a pan, pour sauce over them and sprinkle with cheese. It then does have to bake for about 30 minutes, though prep time is probably only about 10 to 15.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 6:30 am
Rice and beans - add drained and rinsed kidney beans from a can and fried onion to plain white rice . Season with chile powder and a little cumin and garlic.
Majadara - Cook green lentils for about half and hour, drain and add to plain white rice with with fried onion. Season with salt, pepper and cumin.
You can make a big pot of rice in the beginning of the week and keep it in the fridge.
If your family likes brown rice, even better.
Kasha varnishkes is also a good combo with protein.
Chickpeas are great additions to any salad. I put them in cous-cous salad and in bulgar salad.

ora_43

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 8:43 am
If your kids like soup, pretty much any legume goes well in soup. I make lentil soup, red lentil soup, chickpea-barley-split pea soup, etc.

Some of my more "kid friendly" legume meals:

- Rice beans and cheese. Like what etky said but without the cumin or onion and with a slice of cheese melted into it (also, I use dried beans, I soak them for a day before cooking and cook with salt and a bit of silan).

- Lentil patties. Cooked lentils mixed with salt, garlic powder, eggs and bread crumbs and fried. Serve with ketchup.

- Peanut butter chili. White beans cooked with corn, tomato sauce, salt, bay leaves, and a big blob of peanut butter. Serve with rice.

- Red lentil sauce. I add red lentils to various sauces, like when making a tomato sauce for pasta or pizza.

- Red lentil curry. Cooked red lentils with curry powder, salt, sugar, cumin, garlic powder, and fried onion. Serve with rice. (if it doesn't come out kid-friendly the first time, just add more sugar Wink )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics