Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Cleaning - Very small house, one kitchen, one sink...

amother

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 5:03 am
I live in a very small house, one small kitchen with one sink, one four burner stove, old linoleum...three small bedrooms and one bathroom. We are expecting a couple of married children with their families for yomtov, iy"H. I will figure out the sleeping arrangements, but need tips on how to accomplish alot in the little time we have left. It is just DH and I, so we don't have any children living at home to help. How important is it to go thru every sefer in the bookcase, every towel in the linen closet, etc. Or should I just concentrate on the kitchen floor, cabinets and walls. Please don't respond to this post if you live in a three storey house with live in help and a Pesach kitchen. I just need practical tips to help me along. Thanx!

zigi

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 5:21 am
just concentrate on the kitchen. sefarim books that you use most often. clothes only the ones that are worn regularly. no need to look at washed things in the closets.
this I what I learned in a class. if you are not sure ask your rav what you need to clean.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 5:24 am
if you don't have kids around tracking crumbs everywhere and who need to be fed chometz up to pesach its much easier. You can turn over kitchen a few days before pesach and start cooking, as long as you and dh don't mind eating pesach food for a few days.

Just try and ensure there is no chametz anywhere. I have to go through all my kids toy drawers to make sure there are no cookies at the bottom, likely you don't have this issue. But you can take the socks out of your drawer and replace them, take sefarim from shelf, check behind, and replace them. If you (your dh) eats and learn at the same time maybe you want to check those specific sefarim for crumbs.

cm

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 5:32 am
How would chametz get into books and towels? Clean the kitchen thoroughly, vacuum the rest of the house and make a strict rule not to carry food around - all year round.

When expecting guests for YT, it helps to prepare in advance. Make menus for each (simple, reasonably-sized) meal, buy what you need, and get as much prepared food as possible into the freezer before they arrive. Ordinarily I would say to leave enough time to make beds, which takes longer than it should, but if these are your own grown children they can make their own beds when they arrive. As you don't have young children in the house, turn your kitchen over in advance giving yourself plenty of time to prepare so you won't be exhausted and frazzled come erev YT.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 5:56 am
CYLOR.
(And no kids, I'm not OP Very Happy )

amother
Black

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:14 pm
I just realized now that this post was written in 2013. If you still belong to this group, I would love to hear how Pesach turned out for you. Your post caught my attention because it described DH and I perfectly...small house, no kids living at home, etc. etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics