Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Kashering racks of self cleaning oven
Previous  1  2  3

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 7:01 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
we bought separate oven racks b ecause of that.

That's a nice idea, but as I said above, it would cost me $250-$500 to do that and I'm not ready to spend that. If I need to I'll self clean them, but I'm not going to spend that amount of money on racks just for Pesach (and deal with storing 4 racks).

you don't need four. you can just buy 2. it's an investment.

2 would give one one rack in each oven and that would necessitate my drastically changing the way I cook & warm food. As it is, now I normally have 3 racks in each oven -- for Pesach I would go with only 2 per oven, but one per oven would be very impractical. I'd risk self cleaning and ruining them (if there was no alternative way to kasher) before going with 1 rack per oven. I have a large number of people in my home for the entire YT and all meals. While I'm sure people could do it with 1 rack per oven, and I could too if I had too (or even manage without an oven if I had to), I wouldn't choose that solution when there are options.

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 7:07 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
freidasima wrote:
Our racks also have two bends in them for how they fit into the oven. The racks fit into each other however as they have the same bends. So they don't really take up that much space, maybe two inches for two racks.

Each rack in these ovens (each comes with 3 racks, but I'll do with 2 per oven for Pesach) is actually totally different from each other.

You know that I'm dying to see your oven now, don't you?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 7:12 pm
Barbara wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
freidasima wrote:
Our racks also have two bends in them for how they fit into the oven. The racks fit into each other however as they have the same bends. So they don't really take up that much space, maybe two inches for two racks.

Each rack in these ovens (each comes with 3 racks, but I'll do with 2 per oven for Pesach) is actually totally different from each other.

You know that I'm dying to see your oven now, don't you?

You can see it here:
Frigidaire Built In 30" Double Oven

Tova

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 7:37 pm
Have you used your oven yet? You can buy yourself a year if you just wait to use the first time until you are cooking Pesachdik.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 7:39 pm
Tova wrote:
Have you used your oven yet? You can buy yourself a year if you just wait to use the first time until you are cooking Pesachdik.

No, I've used it. I seriously considered not using it until Pesach -- I got it around 3 weeks ago. But I hosted a Purim seuda here for over 40 people and needed to use it.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 8:43 pm
We have that oven too! Really happy with it so far.

What about getting one set and only using one oven for Pesach? Do you do a lot of dairy cooking?

I think its a worthwhile investment if you think about it. Lets say your oven lasts for ten years, think of the per year cost. Its very little.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 8:50 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
We have that oven too! Really happy with it so far.

What about getting one set and only using one oven for Pesach? Do you do a lot of dairy cooking?

I think its a worthwhile investment if you think about it. Lets say your oven lasts for ten years, think of the per year cost. Its very little.

Believe it or not, both ovens are fleishigs -- I also have 2 more ovens, one milchig and one pareve and I do kasher all of them for Pesach (all are self cleaning).

I have a lot of people and prefer to cook/heat the way I'm used to using all of the ovens.

People here are starting to convince me that I'm considering buying 4 racks if I would have to self clean the ones I have. But if I can kasher them otherwise, I'll probably do that. And it isn't only the cost, it's the storage -- I already store so much stuff that I've been determined not to add on to it; but as I'm said, I'm considering it.

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 01 2013, 4:44 am
I bought from a houseware store an extra oven rack that has feet and rests on the bottom of the oven. It should fit into any oven.

You can see it in this pic.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/AllP.....13106

maybe if you got one shelf per oven plus something like this.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Mar 01 2013, 5:33 am
I feel your pain OOTbubby! I hate extra storage.

BTW, do you use your chicken nuggets button? I love that thing! I use it for making my own chicken nuggest or hamburgers or things like that - it automatically switches to keep warm, so I go pick up my kids after putting it up and I come home to warm, delicious food.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 01 2013, 8:53 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I feel your pain OOTbubby! I hate extra storage.

BTW, do you use your chicken nuggets button? I love that thing! I use it for making my own chicken nuggest or hamburgers or things like that - it automatically switches to keep warm, so I go pick up my kids after putting it up and I come home to warm, delicious food.

Never used; never make chicken nuggets either. In fact, I thought it was kind of a wierd thing to have a dedicated button.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Mar 01 2013, 9:10 am
Yes, but its a great setting! Use it for anything that cooks for approximately that amount of time (like burgers, unless you like them well done) and it automatically switches to warm. Its pretty awesome once you get used to it.

I thought it was strange too LOL.

You can make baked schnitzel in the oven that way too, as long as the pieces aren't too thick.

granolamom

Post Fri, Mar 01 2013, 10:50 am
EmesOrNT wrote:
I actually got a separate set of grates under the warranty, that I use for Pesach. For some reason, the grates had faded a bit really soon after buying it, which is really fine, but under the warranty I was entitled to a new set.

I'm thinking you can get a new set of racks too, if the self cleaning really does ruin them.

I am NOT endorsing lying. I am only suggesting to use the warranty if you are eligible.

my manual clearly states that you are not supposed to self clean the racks that come with the oven. I doubt it would be covered under the warranty
they do sell racks that can be self cleaned separately (expensive!) and they are really nice and heavy and self clean beautifully

SRK

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 4:02 am
Monsey Mom wrote:

Kashering a Non-Self-Cleaning Oven:
1. Clean walls, floor, door, ceiling and racks thoroughly with an abrasive cleaner (for example, Easy-Off ) to remove tangible chametz. Pay special attention to the temperature gauge, the window in the door and the edges of the oven chamber. Black discolorations that are flush with the metal do not have to be removed.

Question- what are black discolorations? On my self clean there are stains on the wall that never ever come off with anything- is it ok to leave it for pesach after a cycle of self clean?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 4:34 pm
Frigidaire double wall oven model #FGET3045KBA

flat racks
http://www.universalappliancep......aspx

racks with bend
http://www.universalappliancep.....19801

devo1982

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 4:41 pm
SRK wrote:
Monsey Mom wrote:

Kashering a Non-Self-Cleaning Oven:
1. Clean walls, floor, door, ceiling and racks thoroughly with an abrasive cleaner (for example, Easy-Off ) to remove tangible chametz. Pay special attention to the temperature gauge, the window in the door and the edges of the oven chamber. Black discolorations that are flush with the metal do not have to be removed.

Question- what are black discolorations? On my self clean there are stains on the wall that never ever come off with anything- is it ok to leave it for pesach after a cycle of self clean?

I assume this means stains that have basically melded to the metal. Usually when something spills in the oven, it makes a raised burned blot, right? But sometimes even after self-cleaning/scrubbing/etc there's discoloration left but if you run your finger over the metal, you can't feel anything. I think that's what they mean by "flush with the metal."

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 5:53 pm
amother wrote:
Frigidaire double wall oven model #FGET3045KBA

flat racks
http://www.universalappliancep......aspx

racks with bend
http://www.universalappliancep.....19801

Thanks -- still kind of pricey, but better than the other prices I've seen. Though they are special order and won't even ship for 2-3 weeks, that's probably too close for this year.

Grace613

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 2:01 am
Try repairclinic.com. I bought new racks for my Caloric for about $18 each. ( they were selling elsewhere for $50)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics