Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Weeding out digital photo collection

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 7:18 am
my 16gb memory card is full, and I need to do some weeding.

I have a separate folder on my computer where I put pictures that are good enough to print, so those are all automatically saved, but what about less-than-great pictures? The ones that are not very well composed, or overexposed, but DS is making a weird face that years from now I'll look back on with a laugh, or all my pictures from that trip came out bad but I want to have some memories saved, or I already have some printable pictures from that park but DS is wearing a different outfit in pictures from a different day at the same park...

Discounting all the photos that warrant immediate deletion (too blurry, etc.), any advice for deciding which pictures get cut?

If I took 40 pictures of DS playing in the snow, for instance, and 3 were excellent, and 6 are unusable, what do I do with the other 31??

yo'ma

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 1:22 pm
I print all my pictures, besides the ones that I delete of course. Meaning I print, not just save it on my computer. I used to be nuts and print almost all of them. I would print all the ones that looked good even if they were very similar. I've learned to cut back since because it was getting to be too much. When I put the pictures in the albums, I would put half of them behind the outside one. That's how I started weeding, I asked myself which one do I want to be seen in the album? There's no way I want/need all of them to be seen since they're so similar. Like I said I've been better, but still not perfect. I still print too many, but not as much as I used to Wink . I know, it's not easy.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 1:34 pm
Create cd's of all the pictures in month or year segments and then delete them from your memory card.
You'll still have them to look at, but they won't clog up your camera or your hard drive.

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 1:55 pm
My system works as follows:

I copy everything onto my computer and off the camera. In my Photos folder, I have folders for the latest months. Example January 2013, February 2013 etc... I copy my favorite pics into a new folder for printing. Whenever there's a good prints deal, I have stuff ready to print. Eventually I transfer the old months to a backup drive so I can access old pics whenever and it doesn't clog the computer.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 2:39 pm
Thanks for the tips! I was also thinking...

I only need the highest resolution for images that I plan on printing. If they're just going to be screensaver images, or emailed to Bubby, I can compress them significantly before a computer monitor would show a difference in quality.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art