Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What would you do?

willow

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 8:35 am
My dd along with her class received an entire bottle of soda each.
My dd has never been allowed more then a sip.
I really really don't want her to drink it. How do I go about explaining to her
how absolutely terrible it is for her. She is adhd and I really really don;t want her
to drink. it.
She would be crushed if I took it away as everyone got one.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 9:08 am
Have you asked her if there is any way you can buy it off of her and take her to the 5 shekel store or something and let her pick something she can keep for a long time?

willow

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 9:08 am
It is a good idea

willow

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 9:09 am
Thinking about it makes it worse it is like three cups worth

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 9:09 am
When my son's class won a bottle of soda (and we do not give it at home, though I have no idea how much they get in school Confused ) I told him he could have 1 C/Shabbos meal, and that way it would last for a few weeks. My intention was that it would get flat/nasty by the second or third week, and it worked. He didn't care for it much by that point, and preferred the grape juice we let them drink at the seuda (diluted).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 9:19 am
Only 3 cups worth?! My son got a whole 2 liter, with 8 cups!

mdpa

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 9:22 am
I also have an ADHD child so I understand where you are coming from. We also don't have juice or soda during the week, but allow a little as a shabbos treat. That being said- I think it is important to pick your battles. If your child would be satisfied with you buying it off them, fine. But if not will one bottle of soda really lead to long term injury? Will one cup of soda cause irreparable harm? One cup of soda with the understanding that it is a one time special treat may not be the worse thing in the world. And if you let her have some, who says you have lo let her have all of it? I would take a step back and see if you are overthinking this a bit.

willow

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 6:36 am
She wanted to buy shoes instead (she is a very smart cookie) instead of the soda and did not want
any cheap trinket instead. I said ok ( going to buy for Pesach). So far ok she keeps saying well
you know I need shoes anyways so I want the soda as well.
I should let it go.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 7:52 am
Shoes are nice, but yes, she probably realizes she's getting 2 things by keeping the soda Wink

ElTam

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 8:24 am
Ration it out. A little bit for Shabbos party. It will be flat before she finishes it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics