Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Attn moms/drs/detectives--what was it?

miami85

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 12:12 pm
Not sure what to make of the past 24hrs, but trying figure out what my toddler had over shabbos-- Was it a stomach bug or a food issue? (I'm going to pediatrician tomorrow, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask)

Thursday--2 kids (2y and 8m) were at babysitter--one kid there not usually there but she was about a year-old.

Friday--kids were home acting as usual, took them out to play in the snow

Friday night--2 y/o ate more than he usually does but all his favorite foods--challah, pumpkin muffin from freezer, some cucumbers and romaine lettuce stalks (DH washed well b4 shabbos)

For dessert I gave him some brownie that I made, It had baked in a 350 oven for 35 mins, but was still quite fudgy/under done, I don't like my brownies too well done, and I can't seem to get it right. He ate only a little bit of it.

We adults ate it and we were fine

2y/o woke up 6:45am having thrown up.--In general he has a weak stomach so doesn't always mean sick
9:30 change his diaper--very mushy consistency--not diarrhea and a bit of a fungal diaper rash, DS was VERY resistant to me changing it.

10:15a took him to shul, he was much quieter than usual. Thought b/c he was tired waking up so early

11:00a comes home, DS looks rather pale.

11:30a during meal after barely eating anything DS throws up again.
11:45a DS is running around like normal
12:00pm DS goes in for a nap
4:00pm DS wakes up burning with fever. Give ibuprofen and subsequently tylenol DS is acting better and fever is down until bedtime
8:30 goes to sleep regular time
8:00am EDT--wakes up later than usual, but no fever no more vomitting, he's a bit crabby, but otherwise normal.

Meanwhile my 8m baby has been fine--2y/o has been sharing bottle, cheerios--you name it with him (not that I've wanted it)

So that's the story (so far)--seems too isolated to have been a stomach bug, but could it really have been food poisoning? But it passed rather quickly? Then again he has a weak stomach, but he had fever? Anyone have a take on the matter?

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 1:24 pm
Why too isolated to be a stomach bug? IME stomach viruses can hit suddenly and pass within 24 hours. So can food poisoning. But the lingering crabbiness seems to be associated with viruses. Look out for a slight dotty rash, that is often a total giveaway that it's a virus, though it doesn't always happen (but if it does, the pattern of upset stomach and fever, followed later by crabby and rash, is often a virus)

If he ate all the same kinds of things as usual, and he seems fine now, I'd just chalk it up as another mystery and move on without worry.

But that's just my unprofessional opinion based on experience.

MommytoB

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 3:14 pm
There are a few stomach viruses going around in the last couple of months. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics