Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Anyone not have guests for seder?
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 10:18 am
Its the first year we are making a seder at home so dh doesn't want any guest. We always have guest so it will feel
So quiet! We'll have guest by the other meals though.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 10:48 am
The few times we made pesach we only had guests twice. Once someone who had nowhere to go and once my fil because my mil was in the hospital. I like it best with just us.

cpa613

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 11:09 am
We've been making Pesach for many years and have gone through all of the iterations of with parents/in-laws and without. We've found that we enjoy Pesach the most when we are by ourselves for the sedarim and have guest for Shabbos Chol Hamoed and the second days. We love being able to focus all of our attention on our children and do what we like to do - without having to worry about whether or not the guests are getting antsy and if they want to hear one more dvar torah or not.

Our children still get to spend part of the Yom Tov with their grandparents and we feel that this is the perfect solution for us.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 11:24 am
Funny but one year we hosted only one family with a toddler (mom was pregnant and gave birth during chol hammed) and it did not feel right. We love having lots of people. We will be about 17-20 for each seder and that feels just perfect. To each her own, I guess.

Amital

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 11:30 am
When we were just starting out, we had a joint seder with three families (1-2 kids each). It was really fun.

We occasionally have had guests for the seders since then, but this year we're solo. And happy about it! The kids put on a show, using blankets to cross the red sea, we bring out crafts we've done to illustrate the parts we're at, we sing, we answer questions and get treats...we have fun!

yksraya

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 11:44 am
Last year was the first time we made the seder at home. We did not have any guests and my dh had time to tell the hagadah in a child friendly way. This year we might have guests but I can't know that till the last minute as my dh can bring someone home from shul (usually an older single or kid at risk).

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 12:11 pm
I would like to consider having guests at some point. For now we're guestless, and I'm looking forward to a relaxed seder with just us. Maybe when the kids are older...

Isramom8

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 3:07 pm
Always had only family or a few guests who were very close and like family.

Brownies

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 3:56 pm
Don't get me wrong, I am by no means knocking people for not having guests at the Seder - I wouldn't dream of it as I have never made Seder myself (and can also imagine enjoying it more with family also) but, much as the focus should be on kids, there is definitely something in having guests on Seder night - it says it in "ha lachma" - Kol dichsif, yeitei v'yeichol; kol ditzrich, yeitei v'yifsach. (All who are hungry, come and eat;
All who are in need, come and partake in the Paschal offering.) Just thought I'd throw that in!

ElTam

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 4:06 pm
First night seder is family only for a few years. We feel it is important to focus on the children and what they learned, etc.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 4:11 pm
Brownies wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I am by no means knocking people for not having guests at the Seder - I wouldn't dream of it as I have never made Seder myself (and can also imagine enjoying it more with family also) but, much as the focus should be on kids, there is definitely something in having guests on Seder night - it says it in "ha lachma" - Kol dichsif, yeitei v'yeichol; kol ditzrich, yeitei v'yifsach. (All who are hungry, come and eat;
All who are in need, come and partake in the Paschal offering.) Just thought I'd throw that in!

You can accomplish this by contributing funds to kimcha depischa, and still focus on Vehigadeta Levincha on seder night.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 6:27 pm
First night is just us - firstly I am exhausted from all the non-stop cooking for the three days before, the last minute chametz panic, etc. and this way it gives the kids a chance to show off all their stuff, really join in and enjoy every step of the way, and we dont finish too late. Second night we have guests. And then guests over Shabbos Chol Hamoed and second days. This way we get the best of both worlds - kids love it and get their glory, and we have guests too, which they love as well.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 7:34 pm
I'm with willow

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 8:43 pm
We are having no guests. If a family or single person asks to join us we would be happy to have them but we aren't going out of our way to try and find guests.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 6:40 am
We have so many guests we started making a public seder in a hall the last few years. (and giving money to a tzedaka fund would achieve nothing - these people would literally not have a kosher seder to go to if we didn't make one) the second night is at home, and we have about 10-20 guests. it would honestly feel very strange to have a guestless seder. Growing up we always had several guests who came back year after year. Some of them were pretty eccentric but that only added to the fun.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics