Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When to worry about black and blue marks?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 9:01 am
My 5 year old son has black and blue marks. How can I tell if it's from bumps or something more serious?

carpediem

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 9:49 am
The only way to tell is to keep an eye out and see if more bruises come. Assuming that he's generally healthy and not on any medications it could be a vitamin deficiency, make sure he has enough vitamin B & C. If he continues to bruise, get some bloodwork done, just to be safe. Good luck Smile

shosh1

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 10:04 am
If the marks are all only on his legs then it's probably nothing to worry about.If they are all over his body including inside his mouth I would take him to the doctor

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 10:14 am
Where are the bruises? Are you concerned about his health or if there is abuse? If abuse is the question, google "Mandated reporter" and you can take a course to learn when to recognize abuse from normal bruising.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 8:41 am
rikkiw wrote:
The only way to tell is to keep an eye out and see if more bruises come. Assuming that he's generally healthy and not on any medications it could be a vitamin deficiency, make sure he has enough vitamin B & C. If he continues to bruise, get some bloodwork done, just to be safe. Good luck Smile

B'h, he's overall healthy.
shosh1 wrote:
If the marks are all only on his legs then it's probably nothing to worry about.If they are all over his body including inside his mouth I would take him to the doctor

I've seen on his arms and I saw on his back, but he does a lot of roughhousing with his brothers. How can you tell if it's his mouth?
Eemaof3 wrote:
Where are the bruises? Are you concerned about his health or if there is abuse? If abuse is the question, google "Mandated reporter" and you can take a course to learn when to recognize abuse from normal bruising.

No, I wasn't thinking of abuse at all. He's with me all the time except when he's at school and he had black and blue marks even when there wasn't any school.

hbf

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 9:11 am
Years again, a psychologist told me that if a child sometimes has bruises from regular day to day activity, then it means that the child is running around, interacting with friends and is happy.

Chanie

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 9:13 am
At that age, black and blue marks are usually harmless. My 6 year old is always covered in black and blue marks and I don't get alarmed, because I know he active he is.
I do know a bit about black and blue marks, as I have ITP, which is a blood disorder that I have too few platelets. The main visible symptom is black and blue marks. I was diagnosed at 10 when my mother noticed black and blue marks all over my body when I was trying on a bathing suit. Until that point she just assumed I was being active and therefore bang myself up. But the amount of black and blue marks I had was unnatural. Till today, I have times I have these marks, find that they especially come out around mikvah time and I've wondered many times if the mikvah lady thinks I'm being abused.
If u are worried you can take him in for a blood test, but I doubt it's anything more then an active by who bruises easily.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 10:51 am
Thank you everybody! You calmed me down. The one on the back gave me a fright. After reading the responses I remembered that he and his brothers jump on top of one another. They think it's fun Rolling Eyes .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics