Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Second day of chagim/own property in Israel

masalapeanuts

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 8:02 pm
My husband is telling me that since we live outside of Israel but own a home there we are obligated to not fully celebrate the second day of chag. I have heard of this before but only in passing. Is anyone familiar?

September June

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 8:04 pm
Ask your LOR.
If you're outside EY, maris ayin is also a problem.

cookiemonster

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 8:16 pm
Its usually If you do do all shloshet regalim in israel. You must ask your rav

Fabulous

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 8:22 pm
Each rav has to decide on a case by case basis.

I have NEVER heard that just because you own property in Israel but are not there for y't, then you can keep one day. That is only if you really live there and are just visiting somewhere else and even then, it's maaris ayin.

I have heard that if you own property and are in Israel for all shalosh regalim, or at least plan to be.

I have also heard the most meikil that if you own property in Israel and are in Israel for y't and at least live there a bit of some other time etc...

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 8:54 pm
I've never heard the own property bit, and I LIVE in Israel. All the psakim I've ever heard (including from non-Orthodox) have said you have to be physically in Israel.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 12:43 am
I have heard the opposite. Some poskim (I don't think the majority) say that if someone moves from chul to EY, they still have to keep 2 days until they own property (because otherwise it is uncertain that they will stay).

And even someone who lives in EY has to keep YT in public in chul, and many say in private too (the difference would be in davenning etc.).

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 12:57 am
I've heard lots of different things. My brother was engaged to an Israeli girl & planning to live in Israel & was told 2 days by his Rav. I was a single girl who was hoping to stay (& had nothing pulling me back) & was told to hold 1 day.....each Rav paskens differently & you really need to ask yours. Anywhoo, when we were in America over Pesach we were told to act just in a way that nobody was able to tell that were weren't keeping the second day-no makeup, do the 2nd seder....Again you need to ask a Rabbi!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 11:12 am
And here is a weird one for you. I have a relative living here for 15 years already and another cousin just told me that they still do two days as they have not officially made aliyah.

But I never heard of what the OP is suggesting. Ask a rav.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics