Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Barons & Bankers
Previous  1  2  3

INSPIREME

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 8:20 pm
Is it at all "scary"?

Mini Cookie

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 8:32 pm
No. Just plain boring. No suspense, humor or tear jerking moments. No feminine touch to it what so ever. I could see men enjoying such a play (not the musical part, lol). I share this opinion with many ppl that were at the play or watched the DVD. The performers were really professional & the musical part was nice too, but the story was boring.

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 9:37 pm
the kids may still enjoy the music and costumes, its a very colorful show.

Tweedledee

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 2:01 pm
you ladies will be peklased. we're doing the sound of music next and while any christian refferences were removed 9too much I think. they took out any refference to G-od or religion at all) most of the rest has been left intact. the romance has been watered down, but not eliminated. and the characters remain non jews, nothing's been jewified. for those who were nostaligc about the old neshei plays, I think you'll like this.

blumys

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 4:29 am
I liked the music and costumes, but not much else. Sad

September June

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 10:51 pm
Mostly Music has the DVD on sale now for 17.99, if anyone wants it.

chipmunk

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 1:37 pm
anybody know if they're having anything upcoming this year???

penguin

Post Sun, Feb 10 2013, 9:47 pm
Yes, please post when anyone hears that the DVD is for sale. Do I infer correctly that it's My Fair Lady?

rise above

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 12:11 pm
Yes- it was my fair lady. Very funny, amazing set, awesome dancing, and great songs. Only complaint was that it was long- but for a DVD that's not an issue.

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 3:46 pm
penguin wrote:
Yes, please post when anyone hears that the DVD is for sale. Do I infer correctly that it's My Fair Lady?

the dvd of this years play should be in stores this week, just in time for pesach. however there was some editing done due to complains from the williamsburg crowd about a couple of lines here and there. most of it is still intact.

penguin

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 4:07 pm
Quote:
however there was some editing done due to complains from the williamsburg crowd about a couple of lines here and there. most of it is still intact.

Tweedledee, I must say I am disappointed. Create an edited version if you like, and market it accordingly. But why must the rest of us suffer from this censorship. I am considering not buying the DVD as a way of protesting the dumbing down or imposition of yenem's "frumkeit" (see other threads) on everyone else.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 4:42 pm
penguin wrote:
Quote:
however there was some editing done due to complains from the williamsburg crowd about a couple of lines here and there. most of it is still intact.

Tweedledee, I must say I am disappointed. Create an edited version if you like, and market it accordingly. But why must the rest of us suffer from this censorship. I am considering not buying the DVD as a way of protesting the dumbing down or imposition of yenem's "frumkeit" (see other threads) on everyone else.

Obviously, the "Williamsburg crowd" or whoever complained makes up a large percentage of the consumer market.
In a business you gotta satisfy the customer...or else you have no business.

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 5:56 pm
I understand. Believe me I was in it and we worked very hard. But the chassidish crowd is a huge audience for this.. If they stop coming to the plays and stop buying dvds it's Rachel's place that looses out and it is for Rachel's place that all this is for. It's still worth buying. It's small timesheet and there that were edited.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 5:58 pm
frankly- I had a hard time when they put up sound of music although I still felt that both Barons and The Sound of Music still had an undertone of Judaism in it. But this last one was a disgrace in terms of frumkeit. If I wanted to take my daughter to a Broadway play I would- but I CHOOSE to purchase appropriate Dvds fo my home, and I take my daughter to appropriate plays. Many times my daughter asked me what a word means that I didn't care to explain ( ie- BLOODY this and BLAST that)
The producers here have a wonderful opportunity to choose original stories that are both professional , and full of depth. AT least Barons told a story of a Jew fighting hard to make it, and Song of the Hills was about Jews being persecuted- while this was about a woman learning English ( and the last scene she ends up living with him- no mention of marriage or engagement)
Now I get that people don't want frumkeit shoved down their throat , but I'm sorry, its called Kosher entertainment for a reason. And if you're presenting frum women on a stage , you have a responsibility to not just share your talent, but also impart your audience with a message about who we are and who we can strive to be.
I for one will not bring that DVD into my home. ( anonymous because I don't want to be bashed sorry)

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 5:59 pm
If u don't buy in protest Rachel's place suffers, no one else. We worked our butts off on this.

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 6:07 pm
amother wrote:
frankly- I had a hard time when they put up sound of music although I still felt that both Barons and The Sound of Music still had an undertone of Judaism in it. But this last one was a disgrace in terms of frumkeit. If I wanted to take my daughter to a Broadway play I would- but I CHOOSE to purchase appropriate Dvds fo my home, and I take my daughter to appropriate plays. Many times my daughter asked me what a word means that I didn't care to explain ( ie- BLOODY this and BLAST that)
The producers here have a wonderful opportunity to choose original stories that are both professional , and full of depth. AT least Barons told a story of a Jew fighting hard to make it, and Song of the Hills was about Jews being persecuted- while this was about a woman learning English ( and the last scene she ends up living with him- no mention of marriage or engagement)
Now I get that people don't want frumkeit shoved down their throat , but I'm sorry, its called Kosher entertainment for a reason. And if you're presenting frum women on a stage , you have a responsibility to not just share your talent, but also impart your audience with a message about who we are and who we can strive to be.
I for one will not bring that DVD into my home. ( anonymous because I don't want to be bashed sorry)

the last scene shows her returning to work things out, not living with him. she walks in the door and basicly says "im back" and he offers her a seat to show he's willing to change. the inference is that, with his mothers help, they work towards and engagement. I dont know where you got the idea she becomes his roommate.and as far as her staying with him while she learns, he lives in a mansion and in the household are the colonel, the housekeeper and myriad other servants. it is made clear that her room is in the servants quarters, at the other end of the house from him.there was a known posek involved in every step of this production from the script to the costumes. the producers had us changing things even durring dress rehearsal that they thought might be a hint of a question. this was kosher entertainment. now there are those who will never touch meat because of the remote possibility of a shaileh, but that doesnt mean meat isnt kosher.

now yes barons and bankers was mre typical of what you call kosher entertainment 9it was also a broadway show in the 70s btw), but the fact is it bombed. it might get your seal of approval but it doesnt support the desperately needed work that rachels place does. and why do we adapt bropadway shows? because frankly the jewish shows arent as good. the humor isnt as witty, the songs arent nearly as amazing and the ideas arent as original. yes jewish plays have lessons and they tend to shove the lessons in your face in such a way as you feel lectures ratheer than entertained. this play had a leson, but it was subtle. that change is possible no matter where you come from. a street girl can become a lady. a brute can become a gentleman. people can change. and to the baalei teshuva who were involved in this show, to the girls from rachels place who watched the show, that is a lesson with deep meaning and alot of hope.

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 6:22 pm
Ps there were several brits in the play who assured us that blast is a perfectly tame word just a notch worse than saying phooey.snd bloody was taken out completely.what she said was ruddy which means red, blotchy, bumpy, etc. And is often used in this context so it's not a stretch.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics