Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Making cholent for shabbos shavous

shayna82

Post Fri, May 26 2006, 1:41 pm
is anyone doing this?

if not, what are you making for shabbos day to eat?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 26 2006, 2:21 pm
What’s the question, do you not like it or do you not want to leave the blech on?

By us, I only make cholent for Shabbos Mevorchim so we will have something else, probably meat rolls and kugel, but that’s a matter of personal preference…..or perhaps I’ll leave the stuffed cabbage on the blech, I haven’t ecided yet.

shoy18

Post Fri, May 26 2006, 2:52 pm
my mother puts the crock pot on a 24 timer and has it turn on the next night, and puts up the chulent thursday afternoon, bec u can cook for the next day on thursday because its shabbos, erev tafshilun. it just has a peg in to go on not off, she doesnt like to leave the flame on

batya_d

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 3:39 pm
To return to this question:

I have a newer model slow-cooker that turns automatically to "keep warm" after the cooking cycle is done. So I can't keep the crock pot on and just add the cholent Friday, it would turn off automatically after a few hours.

If I start the cholent thursday, it will be dust by shabbos morning. Even with Eruv Tavshilin I can't press the buttons on the cooker.

How can I do this, or should I resign myself to deli for shabbos lunch??

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 3:43 pm
It sounds like you need to ask for a suitable appliance for your next "occasion".

mimsy7420

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 3:45 pm
You can do it the old fashioned way and make the cholent in your oven. Before they had slow cookers they still had cholent! Buy a nice big alluminum foil roasting pan and make your cholent in there the same way with water so wont dry out- cover tightly with aluminum foil. Put it in the oven an hour or so before shabbos on high - and right before shabbos turn your oven down low and leave it like that until ready to serve! (provided your oven is yontif/shabbos approved - go the star k website to find out) Or on the stove top - let it simmer there all night on low - covered tightly with lots of water!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 3:46 pm
is your a/c going to be on for yontov, otherwise a oven is very hot to leave on.

batya_d

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 3:47 pm
SaraG wrote:
It sounds like you need to ask for a suitable appliance for your next "occasion".

So newer isn't always better? Sad

mimsy7420

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 3:48 pm
I liked the crock pot on timer idea...I'll have to look into that.

batya_d

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 3:49 pm
only1 wrote:
You can do it the old fashioned way and make the cholent in your oven. !

I never leave my oven or stove on overnight due to the fire hazard.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 3:56 pm
shoy18 wrote:
my mother puts the crock pot on a 24 timer and has it turn on the next night, and puts up the chulent thursday afternoon, bec u can cook for the next day on thursday because its shabbos, erev tafshilun. it just has a peg in to go on not off, she doesnt like to leave the flame on

In general, one may not prepare from one day of YomTov to the next. That is why, the second night we light candles after the stars come out. The only exception is the Eruv Tavshilin which makes it possible to prepare for the Shabbos following the YomTov only on the day preceding it.

So you can prepare for Shabbos -thanks to the Eruv Tavshilin -only on Friday, the day before, that means starting from tzes haKochavim - 3 medium stars - Thursday night.

Although for this Shavuos the first day of YomTov anyway comes out on Friday, in the case of when Shabbos follows the first and second day of YomTov, one may not prepare for Shabbos on the first day, but only on the day preceding, which is Friday, or Thursday night after tzes hakochavim - that is, the second day YomTov.

Last edited by TzenaRena on Tue, May 30 2006, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 3:58 pm
a plug-in, gas oven with an electri starter is very easy to put on a timer.

an israeli hotplate, with no adj. settings, has very few shaylos for shabbos/yomtov.

shayna82

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 10:52 pm
thanks for your replies. I actually heard from someone that somebody else turns on their cholent pot before yom tov, fills a bag of water and puts it in the pot, and then before shabbos makes a regular cholent. I think we will do that. if not, I guess coldcuts.

Emuna

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 10:59 pm
Why not simply prepare the cholent on Friday on your larger flame, and leave it over the very smallest flame over Shabbos. As long as you eventually eat it from a keli shlishi you don't need a blech to prepare it, and a very small flame put on before yom tov will not burn the bottom if there's enough liquid.

shayna82

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 11:03 pm
we are trying to not have any burners on at all. we are going otu for two meals, and in for shabbos meals. we plan on using a warmer plate to warm things up and thats it. so thats why this plan is going to work for us!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 10:11 am
you can put anything on the blech you want, before Shabbos, for sure.

stuffed cabbage, brisket, chicken, any kind of kugel or knishes. or meat rolls.

it doesn't have to be cholent, use what you are making already!

Tila

Post Sun, Dec 31 2006, 2:00 pm
I prepped the potatoes and stuff bagged it. Plugged the cholent pot in, with h20 in the pot. Fri am(yom tov) I place all in the pot. we had cholent for shabbat lunch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus