Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
English name for necha

momfive

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 10:13 pm
hi, everyone! I will I"yh be having a girl soon and the name I need to give is necha. what can I put on the birth certificate? I dont like putting names officials cant pronounce, was thinking of nell, any other suggestions?

CherryBerry

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 10:26 pm
I didnt even read your post, just the title and the first thing I thought of was Nelly!

gumby

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 10:26 pm
My sis with that name is Nicole

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 11:05 pm
Girl names that start with N

amother

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 11:38 pm
I am named for a Necha and was supposed to be Nancy in English. Instead, I was named a name my parents liked but that had no connection to Necha.

rivpom

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 11:40 pm
my mother in law is named Nancy in English and told us her Jewish name is necha. we thought it was just a nickname for nechama. do you know the origin of the name necha? thanks!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 11:49 pm
My parents told me I was named after a Necha, but my name in Hebrew is Nechama. Necha is Yiddish.

spring13

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 12:02 am
Nicole is a good idea. Nancy is pretty old fashioned now. Other popular N names these days are

Nora
Natalie
Nina
Nadia

Rodent

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:10 am
I think Nicola is better than Nicole and 'fresher'

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 7:10 am
Be careful, Nicola is a male name in many parts of the world (under this spelling or Nicolas).

nyer1

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:12 pm
My grandmothers name was Nettie

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:49 pm
spring13 wrote:
Nicole is a good idea. Nancy is pretty old fashioned now. Other popular N names these days are

Nora
Natalie
Nina
Nadia

I'm the person who doesn't' assign a great deal of value to name meanings and all of that jazz.

BUT

Natalie? Isn't that a reference to the birth of a particularly well-known false messiah, said to have taken place on December 25, to a virgin mother?

mandr

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 2:02 pm
CherryBerry wrote:
I didnt even read your post, just the title and the first thing I thought of was Nelly!

Same here!

spring13

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 2:05 pm
Barbara wrote:
spring13 wrote:

Nora
Natalie
Nina
Nadia

I'm the person who doesn't' assign a great deal of value to name meanings and all of that jazz.

BUT

Natalie? Isn't that a reference to the birth of a particularly well-known false messiah, said to have taken place on December 25, to a virgin mother?

I did leave out "Noelle" Smile I actually know one or two frum people named Natalie. Not sure how much their parents realized it. But then again, Mordechai comes from Marduk...

Shuly

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:05 pm
I know someone who gave a Nechama the English name Naomi.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:17 pm
Natalie happens to be a popular name in israel, weird. It may be like "natan li".

How about Nikki?

Lilkingdom

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:20 pm
Nikki or Nicole.

wiki

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 3:06 pm
My childhood classmate named Natalie was always very proud of the fact that her name meant "birthday." I don't think she ever encountered the Christian context for the name.

I think Nancy is the best parallel, but Nicole is a little bit prettier and more current. Both work great.

momfive

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 10:52 pm
thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas! cherryberry, I guess great minds think alike! I don't know the origins of necha, it's my husband's great grandmother's name. I loved everyone's suggestions, guess I have some deciding to do!

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 10:06 am
I would say Nellie or Nancy. As far as I know, Nicole is very 80s.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names