Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Looking for a special camp for some special kids

yaelinIN

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 6:39 pm
We have been having a family over for Shabbos recently that is slowly becoming Shomer Shabbos and hope to become Shomer Kashrus. The wife is Jewish (from Great Neck) and the father is Japanese (He is very respectful and spends Shabbos by us as well. I think he may be feeling out the idea of gerus.).

They have been taking classes at the local Chabad (shoutout to the Ederys!) for many years and want more Yiddishkeit in their lives. She is looking for her kids to go to summer camp in the States to more firmly cement their budding love of frumkeit. They have been looking at a "traditional" camp in LA, but I wondered if anyone could give me any suggestions for a frum camp that would take two kids (boy, 9 and girl, 15 (she is a little slow, but sweet)), who are not yet frum but want to learn more. The mom mentioned yesterday that she didn't like the materialism that she grew up with in her Great Neck Conservative synagogue and that her kids are not into that lifestyle either, so the camp shouldn't be too JAPpy.

Any suggestions from knowledgeable campers out in Imamother land?

Thanks!

harriet

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 6:42 pm
Oorah's GirlZone/BoyZone

yaelinIN

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 6:50 pm
I've looked at the site -- do they take kids who are a bit different?

harriet

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 6:58 pm
yaelinIN wrote:

I believe so.

You should also check out Camp Kaylie

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 7:10 pm
Also nagella through agudah of Illinois. http://www.campnageelamidwest.org/

Hatemywig

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 11:59 pm
http://camplmanachai.com/home.aspx

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 12:06 am
My son has been to camp nageela Midwest ( Ncsy) located at an agudah camp but not run by agudah, and both kids have been to boy/girl zone. Can't say enough about oorah as an organization. We all have Torah mates, they really keep in touch with the kids, reunions, excellent facilities and staff. Happy to give references to anyone who wants. Pm me.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 12:10 am
yaelinIN wrote:

My son is Pdd nos. it's case by case but apply soon. Totally not materialistic btw. And the kids are from all over the map geographically and socio economically. My daughter was the first in our town to go five years ago, and this past year there were over thirty.

shmaichul

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 3:58 pm
What about Gan Yisroel in Running Springs, CA?

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 8:05 pm
Girl/Boy Zone has a really mixed crowd from many different backrounds.
It's a really awesome camp, PM me if you'd like more info.

yaelinIN

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 8:09 pm
shmaichul wrote:

She tried a GI (day camp) in FL last year and the kids liked it but she felt she wanted more Judaism than that. I know this GI is a sleep over camp. Is there more learning about Judaism than at a day camp GI?

[ETA] I know day camp GI's job is to gently introduce Judaism through fun activities to a range of Jews. This family is already somewhat knowledgeable about shmiras shabbos and kashrus and are making strides to know more. They LIKE Shabbos and want to keep more and more. They hope to kasher their home but are waiting to find out if/when/where the Ederys will move to more permanent home. The mom's goal is to have them learn more in a fun environment and be in a place with lots of Jews trying to grow (which isn't happening in Tokyo right now).

Last edited by yaelinIN on Thu, Feb 14 2013, 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

yaelinIN

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 8:14 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Girl/Boy Zone has a really mixed crowd from many different backrounds.
It's a really awesome camp, PM me if you'd like more info.

I received an email from them last night. I gave over the info to the mom and she is interested in the NY (or CA) camps since she can stay with family while they are in camp. Wish me luck in helping her.

Yael

Last edited by yaelinIN on Thu, Feb 14 2013, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

September June

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 8:15 pm
No camp suggestions but Tizku L'mitzvot! You're amazing!

yaelinIN

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 8:29 pm
shmaichul wrote:

Is there a functioning website I can show her? Not a blogspot/FB page?

Hatemywig

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 10:34 pm
Running springs does not exist anymore.

You can try CGI Florida overnight (boys only) http://www.cgiflorida.com/

yaelinIN

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 10:21 am
Update:

I gave her the information and while she is very interested in the conservative camp (she said she wants the kids to know there are options besides what they see here in Tokyo), she looked at the BoysZone/GirlZone camp video and is very impressed and wants to talk about it with me over Shabbos (to which they are all coming). The camp location is where she worked as a teen (Golden Acres) - weird coincidence!

Daven that the right words will be in my mouth and she'll change her mind!

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 10:29 am
http://www.jewishgirlscamp.com/

A chabad run camp for girls from non frum backgrounds. You can probably call the director directly and ask if the camp would be a good fit.

hatslacha!

Hope something works out!

yaelinIN

Post Sat, Apr 06 2013, 8:13 am
Here's an update.

The mom didn't get the job at the conservative camp in CA, so now she wants to send her son to BoysZone. Neither she nor I think her daughter would flourish in camp, so now I am trying to find her a mother's helper position somewhere up in the country or perhaps in NYC. Her mother thinks she would be staying near Woodstock with a friend but she is willing to drive her daughter to a warm and welcoming family who would accept her daughter's help around the home and with children, be able to answer her questions about Judaism with love and caring responses and give her another insight into the frum world (outside Tokyo!). Also, the mother is an artist and writer and would love to be able to use her talents in a camp if she can find a position. They are really growing and a summer in a welcoming frum environment would really make a difference in their lives.

If you have any leads, please PM me so I can follow up on them right away!!

Thanks so much,
Yael (in Tokyo while Shabbos reigns over the rest of the world)

ROFL

Post Sat, Apr 06 2013, 9:07 pm
Try camp kaylie. They may need some more staff.

yaelinIN

Post Sat, Apr 06 2013, 10:01 pm
Thanks ROFL! I have emailed them.

If anyone has anymore suggestions, I welcome them.

Yael
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics