Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How long before bacteria sets in?

mushmom

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 10:49 am
question for all of you balabustas:
made a chicken soup last night. turned off the fire at 9 pm, then fell asleep!!! without putting it in the fridge. woke up at 6 am and quickly stuck it in the fridge. now my q is, is this safe enough for my 8 month old baby? she loves it and I made it especially for her!
if anyone has any tried-and-tested answer, would love to hear it!!
thanks!

proudmom

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 10:51 am
I wouldnt give it to anyone to eat.

RedVines

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 10:58 am
simaler thing happened to me...nope dont give it to her..."when in doubt, throw out!"

frog

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 11:54 am
how big is teh pot of soup. I often turn off my soup at night and its too hotto put inteh fridge so I wait until the morning and its still warm to touch. I don't think its a prob. also is your heating on high at night or is it kind of cool?

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 12:00 pm
frog is right, how long do you think it took to cool down, and how hot/cold is your kitchen?

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 12:07 pm
People it's not a vegtable soup but a chicken one!
So what maybe I would do is try to smell and eat a couple of spoonfuls myself first b/4 offering anyone-else, especially a baby.

Doubt it is any good though! If it would be any other type of soup I might say ok but not chicken

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 12:35 pm
if the kitchen is cool, it might be ok,
try it & if it tasts fine, boil it agan, for at least 5 min "& taste again

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 12:54 pm
Even if it tastes ok then you and husband eat it. But wouldn't take a chance w/h babys delicate digestive systems shock

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 1:26 pm
nop, wouldn't give to a baby or a young child -
boiling will actually kill the bacteria if the soup just began to spoil but didn't spoil yet, but the soup will never be the same good old fresh soup!!

mushmom

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 3:14 pm
thanks everyone!
turns out my husband says the kitchen was freezing at night- window wide open right next to the pot and I tasted it and it tastes ok. but I think only my husband and I will eat it.

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 4:21 pm
Quote:
but I think only my husband and I will eat it.

Phew I'm relieved Wink

mother of 2 princess's

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 6:54 pm
well I usually make my soup friday morning and its finished abuot 11 and then leave it out til friday night
do you think thats too long then?/
how long after you turn it off shouldyou put it in the fridge

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 8:12 pm
You have to wait until it cools down before you put it in the fridge, or else it could warm up the fridge and spoil other things, besides for becoming spoiled itself.

Rivk

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:00 pm
I once made a huge pot of soup for supper intending to freeze most of it for later uses. But I forgot to put it in the fridge overnight and I was SO disapointed in the morning. It was such a bad feeling that all that work went for nothing. Zil zein a kapparah!

mother of 2 princess's

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 7:32 am
well iv done that too many times!!! so how long do you all think is ok out the fridge. it takes a long time for the soup to be cold. I leave it out from the morning til shabbos and its still warm!!!

Rivk

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 12:10 pm
I started leaving my chicken soup on all day Friday on a very very low flame. That way I don't hafta worry about it going bad or putting it away before it's completely cooled.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen