Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What do you do for growing pains

syrima

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:45 pm
ds is complaining that his leg hurts below the knee for a few days now. No sign of injury, but it hurts him a lot.
If it is grwoing pains, is there anything to do besides pain relievers?
If your kid had it, how long did they have it for?

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:51 pm
DD complains about growing pains all the time. Her pediatrician is not concerned. I rub lotion into the area. I'm not sure it really helps, but it makes her feel like I'm doing something. I also gave her a bottle of lotion to keep on her night table which she can use herself if necessary.

My mother used to rub baby powder on our legs for growing pains, but I think lotion is less messy.

sarachana

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:53 pm
my dd who has very bad growing pains says that gluten makes it worse and bananas make it better...maybe potassium is what is needed.

Rodent

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:41 pm
My eldest gets them fairly often, usually at night and they wake him up. I try rubbing them but it doesn't seem to do much. The only thing that has helped enough to help him sleep is ibuprofen.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:44 pm
Calcium supplements.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 12:14 am
from my own experience, it's due to a zinc deficiency.

b'kitzur - a multivitamin with a good dose of minerals would definitely be in order.

hardworkingmommy

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 1:23 am
When one of my kids complained about growing pains the pediatrician said to take Vitamin D.

rowo

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 6:09 am
If its like cramping pains, I think magnesium.
My son used to get really bad pains that would wake him up, and he would be hysterical. We started giving him supplements and it has definitely improved. Even if he does complain, it's manageable for him. He can just roll over and maybe rub his leg instead of screaming for hours..
I can't check right now, but it's a blue bonnet vitamin with magnesium, calcium and vit d3

cookiejar

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 6:46 am
sorry to be so un-wholesome, but when my son had it (and he's a pretty dramatic complainer) we gave Tylenol or Motrin, it definitely eased the pain... He did have them on and off for a few years. I had it too as a kid. My mom always said it was lack of sleep(!) I wonder if we should have investigated vitamins... But gam zeh ya'avor- and remember, the level of hysteria of the child doesn't necessarily correlate to how serious the problem is Smile

Last edited by cookiejar on Tue, Apr 30 2013, 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Monsey Mama

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 6:50 am
My dc was misdiagnosed with growing pains. It turned out to be Lymes. We left it too long.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:35 am
cookiejar wrote:
sorry to be so un-wholesome, but when my son had it (and he's a pretty dramatic complainer) we gave Tylenol or Motrin, it definitely eased the pain... He did have them on and off for a few years. I had it too as a kid. My mom always said it was lack of sleep(!) I wonder if we should have investigated vitamins... But gam zeh ya'avor- and remember, the level of hysteria of the child doesn't necessarily correlate to how serious the problem is Smile
it's not an issue here of unwholesomeness, but of attacking the root of the problem instead of merely easing the pain; the child that took only Tylenol without a vitamin/mineral supplement is still lacking those nutrients needed for proper growth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics