Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My DD will get asthma from school!!!!

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 8:36 am
My DDis 12 and is in a school that recently built a new building. The basement is unfinished and they are legally not allowed to go there. In the beginning they had a rule that no students may go downstairs.

Recently it changes and they have performances there now.

A year ago I get a call from school telling me to come over right now. Its about a 30 minute drive. I panicked. My DD almost passed out after being in the basement for a few minutes dancing. She actually threw up and turned white. I took her to the dr and he said she may not go downstairs.

Second episode happened at home. We moved some books from a bookshelf into her room work was being done in the house. The dust from the books made her so sick that she needed a nebulizer. When this happened my dr said she has to stay away from dust.

Recently in school she has missed so many fun/ GO activities since they are all in this illegal unfinished basement. She called me now telling me that she went down today and isnt feeling well. The principle was in the background and told my DD that they are moving the activity now outdoors.

There is no one to talk to in the school since the owners are the principles and everything else. Any problems you have they will tell you if only you would give more $$. Since they built this building they talk to the students about collecting $$ a little too much.

What should I do now? My DH told me to ignore it!!

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 8:48 am
Frankly, I would report the school to whatever authorities are in charge of the building maintenance. If anything more serious would happen as a result of their using the basement inappropriately C"V I shudder to think of what could happen! I think that the school is utterly crazy. If I was nice, I would inform (ie threaten) them of your plans to report them, but that probably wouldn't help. Bottom line is, they are doing something illegal.

willow

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:01 am
I agree 100% what they are doing is wrong. I would tell them that you appreciate the school but this is too big a problem to ignore. If they say too bad reply I don't want to fight over this in court or beit din I do not want to fight at all but we have to make this work legally.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:04 am
I dont think I can report them halachikly. (isnt it like reporting my neighbor that has an illigal tenant? There are safety issues also there since the apartment/kitchen may not be up to code) I know that they do not have a CO for the basement. Her friend's father is a builder and she told my daughter last year that she was going to ask her father to "finish it" over the summer. I thought it was so sweet of her. I know her father had meetings with the owners regarding this recently. The school also doesnt let anyone stay with my DD when they go down - they dont want anyone missing the fun shock . She is stuck in the office for as long as an hour sometimes.

I picked up my dd last week for a dentist appointment and the principle came over to apologise that my daughter missed yet another fun activity because it was downstairs. I had nothing to say. What should I say??

I have 2 more years left here. I am not planning to send my next DD there.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:06 am
I don't know how severe your dd's condition is.
When I was engaged my chosen was cleaning out my mothers apt in Brooklyn .
He got violently ill from the dust and couldn't breathe .
An allergist / ENT prescribed singulair and some other prescriptions and he was fine

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:11 am
amother wrote:
I dont think I can report them halachikly. (isnt it like reporting my neighbor that has an illigal tenant? There are safety issues also there since the apartment/kitchen may not be up to code) I know that they do not have a CO for the basement.

I would ask a Rav. This might be a case of (almost) Pikuach Nefesh. You daughter had a somewhat mild reaction to it, but who knows if something more severe could come out of it. There could be other problems down there besides the dust, problems that could C"V be more harmful. I am not pretending to know the Halachos in this case, but I would really ask.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:12 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
An allergist / ENT prescribed singulair and some other prescriptions and he was fine

This is how sick she get if she is around dust. Her lungs dont function properly bacause of the dust. The basement is completely unfinished with exposed insulation. No sheetrock. We have a nebulizer at home with medication which I will use on her tonight.

In everyday life a regular person isnt exposed to dust so often. If you increase the exposure there is a risk for developing asthma - as per my pediatrician.

Thank you everyone for responding. I was panicking and ready to pick her up from school, my DH told me not to. If she calls again, I am ready to run and will IYH speak my mind.

bamamama

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:27 am
amother wrote:
naturalmom5 wrote:

This is how sick she get if she is around dust. Her lungs dont function properly bacause of the dust. The basement is completely unfinished with exposed insulation. No sheetrock. We have a nebulizer at home with medication which I will use on her tonight.

In everyday life a regular person isnt exposed to dust so often. If you increase the exposure there is a risk for developing asthma - as per my pediatrician.

Thank you everyone for responding. I was panicking and ready to pick her up from school, my DH told me not to. If she calls again, I am ready to run and will IYH speak my mind.

Obviously you don't live at my house. Wink I'd be very skeptical of this claim regarding people not being exposed to dust so often. There is dust all over. However, for your DD's health, it seems you need to find ways to avoid it. Can you pull her out of school for the rest of the year? Really, if there are no authorities you can appeal to about the principals of the school (local code enforcement authorities, for example, would probably not allow students to be in unfinished parts of a building), then you have a problem. if it's simply that your rabbis won't allow you to report them, then you and they are participating in the endangerment of children to enable someone to keep their parnassa. Is there a fire exit in this basement? If your dd is having breathing problems, perhaps she's not the only one. The situation is unsafe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics