Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Buying house back to back with train

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:09 pm
We're considering buying a house back to back with the train. What are the cons aside for the noise? Are there more mice/bugs? Are there more allergies?
(anon because my family would b upset we're considering it)

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:16 pm
I moved into a house next to the train when I was in 4th grade. Literally next to the train - it practically cut through our backyard (and the city took 8 years to put a fence up after we moved in... long story).

The noise is not really a con - my entire family was used to it within 3 weeks (took me 10 days. My baby sister took 3 weeks). And it was a busy line - the LIRR commuter to Manhattan.

We did have a problem with mice a year after we moved in, but I think that was blamed on the construction we were doing, not the trains. No one in my family suffered from allergies besides for me, but I had those before we moved in to that house. And whenever we have guests for Shabbos, the little boys LOVE to stand by the kitchen window and watch the trains go by...

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:24 pm
To me this is like buying a house on a busy street. a total deal breaker. you also have to consider how difficult it will be to sell.

The only time something like this might be worth it is if you are getting a steal. Say 50-100 thousand lower than other homes in the area. Otherwise it could be a big mistake. You may not be able to get your money back.

I have a good friend who bought a home on a busy street. They overpaid and wanted to move because they were unhappy with the location. unfortunately no one wanted to buy the house at the price they paid cause it was a busy street. she is still living there because she is underwater with her house. They owe to much and cant find a buyer. even though she paid average price for homes in that area just by living on an outer street makes her property value well below the market.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:28 pm
I grew up with the train running behind our house. It became background noise and the only time we noticed it was succos when we are in the backyard.
BH I dont know anyone on the block who had mice problems.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:28 pm
What about back to back with a highway? There is a fence.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:30 pm
op here- it is a lot cheaper than any similar sized home in the area and is a great area for us altogether. I don't think we'd have to sell at a loss because we'd b getting a good deal in the first place. I just to make sure there's nothing that I don't realize ahead of time....

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:32 pm
op here- thanks for all the replies! So there's no extra dust to cause allergies? That was a concern for me because my kids do get allergies...

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:41 pm
Our first apt was next to the train. I NEVER got used to the noise, even after several years.. There was never a quiet, peaceful calm. It also brought a lot of dirt/black dust into the house thru the porch door - I dont know why. I also had roaches, but I cant say if it was because of the train. I was terribly unhappy there, always tired & headachey - lack of sleep due to noise . It caused us a lot of SB problems

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:49 pm
I grew up near the train but it never bothered me and the little kids loved it. I can't say about dust since I was younger and wouldnt have realized that.

Now I live on a busy ave. and my apt is always dusty cuz there are buses trucks ambulances... Always passing by. My vertical blinds broke and when the guy came to fix it he said he never saw a track so dirty it must be from all the traffic that passes by. but then again it keeps my kids entertained they always have what to look out at .

Make sure you will have good neighbors as that is very important. If the neighborhood is nice I would buy such a house

chocolate chips

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 10:24 am
Nowhere in Brooklyn or Manhattan, or city areas are quiet.
I couldn't sleep for 3 weeks after I moved here and I lived just off an avenue.
It takes getting used to. Anything.

I had a friend who literally had a train in her backyard. I slept over there and she slept the night and I woke up every 20mins when a train went by.

My other friend moved right under the tracks on McDonald Avenue, noisy traffic AND trains, and she does not hear a thing!

Miri1

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 10:29 am
I'm sure you'll all get used to it.

I'd be more concerned about resale value. You also have no control over the train's timetable. It might run every half an hour now, but in a few years it might be going every 10 minutes.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 10:47 am
I have a headache just thinking about it ...

mdpa

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 3:24 pm
I grew up way out of town (so no buses or trains nearby) and went to college in Brooklyn. One apt I lived in was also right next to a subway track and it never woke me up or bothered me. I got used to it very quickly. Every once in awhile I would notice it and realize I never really noticed it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating