Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Corrective Bris surgery???

amother

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:08 pm
Has anyone had to do this??
We just had a bris, and dh always thought our 6 yo ds had a wierd looking bris, so he had the mohel (different one who did 6yo bris) took a look and said it's not kosher and he would need corrective surgery. I've NEVER heard of this. I mean, if it's medically necessary then that's one thing... But I don't feel comfortable putting my son through general anesthesia and surgery because something is not kosher...

Please, any advice would be appreciated!!!!

amother

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:15 pm
It happens. My husband told me he knew a mohel who said that he is very careful not to look at anyone in the mikva because then he will be obligated to tell them that their bris isn't kosher anymore.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:30 pm
is it even halachically allowed to go through such a surgery?

doesn't sakana factor on at all.

if I were you I would get another opinion from a diff mohel, a doctor, and a good rov before making any decisions.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:34 pm
Usually corrective surgery is not medical but cosmetic. I hadn't heard of a bris becoming unkosher if the mohel checked the baby as he was healing post-bris. (Doesn't mean it isn't possible, but this is the first time I have heard of surgery being mandated for halachic reasons.)

shiffycc

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:38 pm
I would definitely ask a dr, A rav, and a third mohel about this.

Eta, there is certainly such a thing as a bris causing medical problems, and it sounds like halachic problems as well. I wouldn't ignore this.

Last edited by shiffycc on Thu, May 02 2013, 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:39 pm
Op here,
apparently he has a penile adhesion which can become painful when he's older, so I guess maybe it is medically necessary?

kb

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:40 pm
I agree with the second opinion factor, but I have heard of such a thing. (No experience, but the concept certainly exists.)

busydev

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
Op here,
apparently he has a penile adhesion which can become painful when he's older, so I guess maybe it is medically necessary?

penile adhesions can be taken care of without surgery. I noticed my son had one when he was about a year and all I needed was some cream to loosen it and now its fine. if its been that way awhile then it may take longer, more steps, but I cant imagine it would be a surgery. speak to another mohel and a dr before doing anything.

shmaichul

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 2:12 pm
My dr noticed it on my son at his 9month checkup. He was able to manually fix it and I had to put vaseline or baby oil (forgot which one) for a few days so it shouldn't go back.
I guess since your son is older its not as easy...

amother

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 3:07 pm
My DH was told by 2 different doctors that his bris wasnt done right - the mohel left to much. This was a shock for him since he was told that he was born " with a bris" (I guess there was nothing really to cut??)
My DH is beyond embarrased to talk to anyone about this. I mentioned it to dh when we made a bris for my son, but.... We think that maybe the skin started to grow a little.

I would ask for a second opinion and at some point let your son know that he is ok.

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 5:33 am
amother wrote:
My DH was told by 2 different doctors that his bris wasnt done right - the mohel left to much. This was a shock for him since he was told that he was born " with a bris" (I guess there was nothing really to cut??)
My DH is beyond embarrased to talk to anyone about this. I mentioned it to dh when we made a bris for my son, but.... We think that maybe the skin started to grow a little.

I would ask for a second opinion and at some point let your son know that he is ok.

Tell him there's nothing to be embarrased to get a Mohel to check it out! I heard from a top mohel that he's seen a lot of adults (that had brissim as babies)... If it's a Kashrus issue, he should not hesitate! Not worth risking it. Do it sooner rather than later!

Wishing you to be over and done with it very soon!

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 6:03 am
amother Carnation wrote:
Tell him there's nothing to be embarrased to get a Mohel to check it out! I heard from a top mohel that he's seen a lot of adults (that had brissim as babies)... If it's a Kashrus issue, he should not hesitate! Not worth risking it. Do it sooner rather than later!

Wishing you to be over and done with it very soon!

Listen Amother.
Now you bumped up a post that's almost 10 years old.

You seem to have an infatuation with either Brissim or the male anatomy.

Whay exactly is your reason for bumping multiple threads about Bris questions from almost 10 years ago?

Perhaps enlighten us.
Are you a Mohel?! LOL

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:57 am
amother Daylily wrote:
Listen Amother.
Now you bumped up a post that's almost 10 years old.

You seem to have an infatuation with either Brissim or the male anatomy.

Whay exactly is your reason for bumping multiple threads about Bris questions from almost 10 years ago?

Perhaps enlighten us.
Are you a Mohel?! LOL

Simply, because I bumped into it yesterday.

And TBH, I didn't check the dates when the last post was sent... But might be it's still relevant!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics