Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to advertise a new school?

Kol Hadassa

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 9:32 am
I am looking for advice on how to spread the word about my school. We have only been open for one year and initially we were only taking Israeli (English speaking) girls. We accepted one girl from the States and it has been incredible for her. So now I want to let more people in Chutz La'aretz know about the program. I am Australian, and though I lived in London for a few years, I don't know the community like a native would. I certainly am not familiar with publications that might be appropriate in America.

So, any suggestions? Where should I place print ads? Any communities I should target? Any particular activists or community leaders I should try to speak to? Looking for tips for both the UK and the USA!

Thanks ladies!

runninglate

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 9:51 am
Which communities you should target depends on whom you are trying to attract. Is it a special ed or regular ed school? What kind of crowd? Yeshivish, more modern etc.

gumby

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 12:41 pm
Is this a high school or seminary ?

sunspot

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 2:35 pm
If you are aiming towards chareidi, you may want to try Mishpacha magazine.

Online: Janglo

Raisin

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 2:40 pm
Are you in Israel?

I've seen ads for schools in magazines, certainly mishpacha, hamodia and other newspapers would be appropriate.

Barbara

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 3:38 pm
You need to define your target audience -- eg, girls age 17 to 20 who graduated from a Charedi high school within the past 3 years and are interested in ....

Then do your research. Find out what schools those girls go to, and send information to the school's placement office, who will help girls find schools. Place ads in the papers they read. Make sure there is a free way to reach you for information -- Mrs. Cohen in Bais Frum may be very interested in more information about your school for some of her girls, but she's not spending her school's budget finding out about it. Set up a website -- unless you're trying to attract girls whose homes forbid that.

People seem to like "parlor meetings," where someone associated with the school, or someone whose kid went there, talks about the school. Maybe you could offer a discount to anyone who agrees to hold a parlor meeting in her house, and skype a discussion with you.

Hatzlacha.

Kol Hadassa

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 3:41 am
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

The school is actually a high school for girls who are struggling in the mainstream system. It is NOT a rehab or a special needs school but rather a small supportive environment for girls who are on their way down and need some uplifting.

We have had such an amazing first year. I am only just starting to realize how incredible it is for a school like mine that 100% of the students are either graduating or returning next year. It is also amazing that BOTH parents and daughters are happy.

The girls are aged between 15 and 18 but I would only take a boarder from the age of 16. They come from a variety of religious backgrounds that include, Hareidi, Hassidim, Modern Orthodox and Chabad. The girls themselves often have a different attitude to religion than their families and love that they can explore their atitude with us without fear of judgement.

Do you see why I'm finding this complicated? My demographic is very diverse!

I think I should be connecting with community leaders to let them know that I exist. Does anyone have any suggestions?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 3:47 am
Kol Hadassa wrote:
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

The school is actually a high school for girls who are struggling in the mainstream system. It is NOT a rehab or a special needs school but rather a small supportive environment for girls who are on their way down and need some uplifting.

We have had such an amazing first year. I am only just starting to realize how incredible it is for a school like mine that 100% of the students are either graduating or returning next year. It is also amazing that BOTH parents and daughters are happy.

The girls are aged between 15 and 18 but I would only take a boarder from the age of 16. They come from a variety of religious backgrounds that include, Hareidi, Hassidim, Modern Orthodox and Chabad. The girls themselves often have a different attitude to religion than their families and love that they can explore their atitude with us without fear of judgement.

Do you see why I'm finding this complicated? My demographic is very diverse!

I think I should be connecting with community leaders to let them know that I exist. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Are you located in Israel? If so and you say that you have girls from all different demographies, then publicize this is all different places. You can use janglo for people who use computers and find out local papers that go out to communities where they would not use computers.
Also, try to speak with school social workers or people like that to find out where there are girls like this.
Do you have a website? That always helps to publicize.

Kol Hadassa

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 5:56 am
We are in Israel. We do have a website...

5*Mom

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 7:06 am
Imamother is a great grapevine. Why don't you post a link to your website?

Kol Hadassa

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 10:22 am
From what I understand it would be against forum rules for me to post my website... Maybe I'm wrong. Is it different for a non-profit than a bussiness?

I would love to post it but for now people will just have to google! (The hint's in my name.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics