Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Three blintz casseroles

animeme

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 10:28 am
I'm making three blintz casseroles this year. Three. Not three pans of the same recipe, but three different ones: a regular one with regular cheese blintzes and real sour cream, a parve one with apple blintzes and parve sour cream for my son who can't have milk, and a milchig one with gluten free blintzes I saved from Pesach for my wheat-allergic daughter. I'm also making two cheescakes, with the regular one done without regular flour.

And we don't even eat milchig meals. We eat the milchigs before the main fleishig meal, though we do eat the parve blintz and cheesake for dessert. I'm tired and I haven't started cooking yet.

How do you bend over backwards for your families when you cook for Yom Tov?

freidasima

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 10:33 am
I don't.
I just sprained my ankle and announced that this year we are having cottage cheese on challah for those who want and as for the rest, I'm pulling a chicken soup and roast chicken out of the freezer from our shabbos meals and whomever wants that can have that too.
No cake. If anyone wants cake they can buy a cheesecake. DH doesn't eat it, I don't eat it, and as for the kids who will be home, well they can put some honey on the cottage cheese on the challah (whole wheat) and pretend it's a cheesecake.

Salads - one of the kids will cut up some vegetables.
And guess what? No one will complain. And we have a lot of dietary restrictions around here too - one vegetarian, one with stomach problems, I can't eat fat of any kind, some don't eat dairy...so we make everything simple. Really simple.

animeme

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 12:38 pm
When I sprained my ankle, I went minimal too. Refuah sheleimah- I know how it can take over your life.

I don't do this during the year- my son takes Shabbos leftovers when I make milchigs, and my daughter makes her own pot of gluten free pasta when I can't easily adapt the meal. But for Yom Tov I tend to bend more, because they really feel the loss of the foods they used to be able to eat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics