Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
What's up with all the pareve recipes

greenfire

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 9:19 am
shouldn't shavuous be about milky ? so what's up with all the pareve recipes ... [unless you're allergic]

it's quite oxymoronic Im with stupid

Rutabaga

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 9:23 am
I was wondering the same thing, but I figured all the imamothers who only make meat meals for yom tov are trying to incorporate some fake milchigs into their menus.

Personally, I would rather not eat anything pretending to be cheese.

sourstix

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 9:56 am
I am allergic and so is my son. many pp have intolerance-severe also. and you can also eat it right after meat. its a good thing cause otherwise I would have my son eating dairy and he would get really really sick. hes too young to control himself. so its a good thing. like what he does in yeshiva he eats even though he knows he shouldnt and then we know what happens sh wont say.

mirisim

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:05 am
There is a shita that a seuda is defined by eating meat/fleishigs, so many people eat only one dairy meal on shavuos or have a dairy starter and then transition to meat for the rest of the meal.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:29 am
I know there's a shita ~ I don't hold by it ... but if you do & have meaty then eat chocolate mousse for dessert ~ not fake cheesecake Confused

mirisim

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:46 am
greenfire wrote:
I know there's a shita ~ I don't hold by it ... but if you do & have meaty then eat chocolate mousse for dessert ~ not fake cheesecake Confused

Can't argue with that Tongue Out I once got in heated argument with someone who claimed parve ice cream was just as good as dairy ice cream, mind you she also claimed chalav yisroel is just as good as calav stam (not in this lifetime)--oh yeah, and did I mention that she is lactose intolerant?

Imma2+2

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:46 am
Even with fleishig meals, I can make a remez to the inyan of dairy by using the parev alternatives. We will have plenty of milchig treats for kiddush, etc. and we will also remember the idea of eating milchigs when we eat fleishigs. It's extending the minhag into another area as a way of using creativity and the wonders of the foods Hashem gives us, to enhance our oneg yom tov.

Besides that I love dairy so that Shavuos was the gastronomic highlight of the year for me. I can no longer eat it, so I try to have oneg yom tov from parev options, instead of sitting through meals that make me have thoughts that aren't so appreciative of all the chessed Hashem shows me.

elisheva25

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:49 am
I would love to make dairy...but I am nursing a baby that's intolerant to dairy.....so I have to be creative this year.

SplitPea

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:53 am
We have both dairy and sky allergies and I miss light dairy type food especially on shavous.

wereafamily

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 3:35 pm
Because Tofutti was on sale Smile

Raisin

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 3:45 pm
what on earth is a sky allergy???

Depending on what chalav yisrael can be the same or just as good. The butter we get that is CY is better then CS butter. (so I am told) Milk/cream should be no different (in theory). Chocolate and ice cream I'm sure the CS versions are better but unfortunately I like the CY ones too much anyway.

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 3:46 pm
I can make a remez to the inyan of dairy

I liked your explanation, but is there an inyan to make a remez to the inyan of dairy? Wink

Imma2+2

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 4:59 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
I can make a remez to the inyan of dairy

I liked your explanation, but is there an inyan to make a remez to the inyan of dairy? Wink

Not officially, that I've heard, but I did learn that we should use all our kochos in avodas Hashem, including creativity and intellectually - that's how I'm thinking of it, at least (and that's only partly in jest!).

Besides the milchig kiddush my kids and hubby are having when I'm out, there are no other stam milchig meals planned. The closest we are getting is parev on the first night, when I guess I could bring out a milchig dessert, but I need to keep the main course food parev so we can eat the leftovers with fleishigs. And it will be late enough that I'd rather not give my kids sugary dessert, so it will be fruit for that meal.
I don't want them to feel like they are missing out on a good part of the yom tov, which is why we do the parev equivalents.

bigsis144

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 7:11 pm
Raisin wrote:
what on earth is a sky allergy???

Depending on what chalav yisrael can be the same or just as good. The butter we get that is CY is better then CS butter. (so I am told) Milk/cream should be no different (in theory). Chocolate and ice cream I'm sure the CS versions are better but unfortunately I like the CY ones too much anyway.

I'm guessing soy...

greenfire

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 8:01 pm
I'm allergic to b bb bbb utter yet I still eat milky

I am not allergic to the sky - unless of course KERPLUNK it's falling
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics