Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How far should our hishtadlus go?

amother

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 6:46 am
I read this morning that Angelina Jolie got a double mastectomy to reduce the risk of breast cancer. She says (quoted from a video of her talking) "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy.I wanted to come out with this to tell other women that the decision to have a mastectomy was not easy. But it is one I am very happy that I made. My chances of developing breast cancer have dropped from 87 percent to under 5 percent. I can tell my children that they don't need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer."
It just got me thinking... Is she crazy for doing this? I understand that there are no guarantees, God runs the world. But, how far should our hishtadlus go to prevent illness?

imasinger

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 7:33 am
I don't think one can generalize. She must have had a fairly unusual circumstance to have had an almost 90% chance of getting breast cancer.

I honor her courage, though. That's a pretty tough decision to have to make.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics