Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
What can I do for a side dish?

sleepwalking

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 6:57 am
I'm making calzones with mushroom sauce for the main meal, what I can I do for a side dish?

smilethere

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 7:55 am
Something with vegetables, but not very starchy,
Sauteed? Maybe rice with lots of veg.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 8:23 am
Roasted veggies?

I would roast zucchini and yellow squash. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash the squash and cut off the ends, but don't peel. If they are really thick squash, then quarter them lengthwise, otherwise just cut them in half. Cut into chunks, then lay them peel side down on a baking sheet. Spread a thin layer of mayo or olive oil (or spray with PAM) on the cut side of the squash, then season with salt, pepper, and paprika (or whatever other spices you like). Roast for approx. 20-30 min. Best served fresh, but if you make in advance, reheat uncovered so squash doesn't get soggy.

granolamom

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 2:51 pm
great idea for a main. I wish I read this yesterday.
anyway, if I was having a calzone with mushroom sauce, I'd want it with steamed broccoli on the side.
I just might rework my menu now.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 4:04 pm
I made an eggplant curry.
NOTE: I mixed the salt and the turmeric first, when I should have salted the eggplant, the rinsed, then added a BIT of salt, turmeric and let sit a 1/2hr. Mine was too salty.

Um, I don't give proportions because I'm a pinch of this a dab of that type of cook.

Dice 1-2 eggplants depending on size, salt/drain to get out bitterness. Rinse. Mix eggplant with a bit of salt and turmeric to coat. Let sit about 1/2hr.
While waiting slice onions into half-circles, separate pieces, saute until brown. Add tomatoes, and cook down a bit. Then add eggplant, and just keep cooking until nice and brown and kind of mushy.
Add two cinnamon sticks, some sugar to taste (I added a bit of brown and white but way too much because I didn't rinse the eggplant.)
It should have a sweetish taste, but also a bit warmish taste. I'm not saying serve hot but the taste should be warm-sweet, not just sweet.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 7:01 pm
Potatoes au gratin

b from nj

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 11:19 pm
Hearts of palm with tomatoes & red onion. Very simple & low cal & tasty too. I buy the 2 pack of canned hearts of palm from Costco & slice them. Then I dice a red onion & add some cherry tomatoes with some of the juice from the hearts of palm & voila, you have a simply, delicious, & very low cal side dish.

I make this almost every shabbos. Another simple low cal side is cucumber salad with cukes, red onion, vinegar & some stevia/truvia-also yummy & practically calorie-free.

oliveoil

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 11:41 pm
A big leafy green salad and roasted or steamed veggies.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 10:14 am
roasted asparagus - just drizzle a little olive oil - some crushed garlic and a sprinkle of salt ... takes 8 minutes to bake

plus the green will compliment the brown on the plate

Isramom8

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 10:32 am
Calzone? That is ambitious. Being that I've only seen them on pizza shop menus, I'd have fries with that. Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics