Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
What filter?

seeker

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 10:29 pm
Free would be nice, but if you get what you pay for then maybe I should just cough it up.
I am not ready to give up internet, and that is quite an understatement, but I feel like it is not proper anymore to leave it totally unfiltered - we follow gedolim in every other area, have growing children at home... I don't want to be too strict because I enjoy wide access to a variety of content, particularly shopping. I want the filter to reduce or eliminate the chance of accidentally stumbling upon temptations we wouldn't want to see, but I want the option of unblocking in the event that, say, I legitimately want to order underwear online or something(I was once by a friend who could never shop the Children's Place online because they were marked as selling underwear. I guess they sell little kiddie briefs or something, but who cares?! Sheesh. But still, the point stands that I might want to be able to shop for serious underwear, while I wouldn't want DH to accidentally open the website where I would do so).

Two names that I see coming up frequently are K9 and OpenDNS. I don't really know how to figure out if either of these would suit our needs. Can someone help me out please? I would rate my technological knowledge as "potential energy" - I am reasonably quick to learn these types of things, but in this particular area I don't yet know anything about how it works.

September June

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 10:36 pm
I use K9 and am very happy with it. You can totally customize your filter settings and it only takes minutes to install. Go for it! It's also free!

syrima

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 1:41 pm
we have been using safeEyes for years. Very flexible and kids can't get around it. Worth every penny.

RachelB

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 4:49 pm
We use K9 - so far, so good

Roots

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 7:17 am
k-9 its free and you can adjust your filter levels to watever you want.
works for me
good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:48 am
The K-9 will filter shopping. I can't order support hose at onehanesplace.com or go onto Victoria's Secret.

And it's glitchy. that's the worst part. It will just not allow me to deposit a check online or transfer money - but not always. I can't always put books on hold at the library.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 7:33 am
Like you, I try to follow the gedolim... I went to my rav about this last week, honestly expecting that he would tell me to give up internet altogether. He recommended a couple, and we ended up going with K9. I think the other one he mentioned was webchaver, which doesn't filter per se, but sends reports of your web activity to another person (I think. Seemed too Big Brother-ish to me, so I didn't go for it but maybe that works for you?)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics