Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
TAG preschool

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 8:00 pm
Can anyone tell me about it? details, what's good/bad etc? is it warm, educational etc? thanks. any experiences would be appreciated.

granolamom

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:04 pm
I hear its very well run, very professional. education seems to be on a high level. its also HUGE. I believe that they are expecting 7 incoming classes for the Kindergarten. I havent sent there but my friends do, apparently even though its enormous, they know who all the kids are and its relatively warm.

Yakira

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 10:14 pm
I don't think its the best preschool in the area but (IMO) its a better school overall and worth a somewhat subpar preschool to eventually get to the better school.

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 7:42 am
Yakira, what would be considered the best preschool and how do they differ?
it's not best in terms of what - education, or a nurturing/warm environment?

granolamom

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 1:48 pm
Yakira wrote:
I don't think its the best preschool in the area but (IMO) its a better school overall and worth a somewhat subpar preschool to eventually get to the better school.

which preschools do you think are better? I think yeshiva south shore's preschool is probably tops but they dont take girls.
TAG elementary is supposed to be really good but I'm not so sure about their high school. and since most of the TAG elem. grads go to TAG hs, its something to consider, even this early in the game.

in general, the girls' schools here leave alot to be desired

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 2:28 pm
Granolamom (I am the OP), but what High School would be better? Shulamis doesn't have a high school, the only other ones are BBY and SKA that I can think of.. BBY is prob too yeshivish (otherwise we'd do it now anyways, not just for high school) and SKA too modern.. doesn't really leave us any room. Is TAG high school not good? I always thought the high school had a great reputation..

also any other knowledge about TAG specifically the preschool would be much appreciated. thanks.

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 3:32 pm
I went to TAG HS but that was a sneeze full of years ago............ It was pretty good back then. I have no clue as to what it is like now. But good luck on your decision.

granolamom

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:
Granolamom (I am the OP), but what High School would be better? Shulamis doesn't have a high school, the only other ones are BBY and SKA that I can think of.. BBY is prob too yeshivish (otherwise we'd do it now anyways, not just for high school) and SKA too modern.. doesn't really leave us any room. Is TAG high school not good? I always thought the high school had a great reputation..

also any other knowledge about TAG specifically the preschool would be much appreciated. thanks.

truth is, it depends on your child and what you are looking for. no school is perfect, its a matter of being able to live with the problems.

I have no first hand experience with TAG preschool. go and check it out, check out the other preschools too so you have a sense of comparison and then good luck choosing one that you feel is best for you.

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 7:36 pm
granolamom wrote:
amother wrote:

truth is, it depends on your child and what you are looking for. no school is perfect, its a matter of being able to live with the problems.

I have no first hand experience with TAG preschool. go and check it out, check out the other preschools too so you have a sense of comparison and then good luck choosing one that you feel is best for you.

Thanks. You are right I'm sure all the schools have pros and cons. Yes I've looked at them.. just wanting to know people with firsthand experience. All the schools look good when you look at it for an hour or so..

6coop

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 8:31 pm
All of my girls have gone/are (iy"h) going to TAG pre-school. Overall, we have been very happy with it.

Pros: It is very well-run. It has been around for a long time so they have an excellent, tried-and-true curriculum and teachers and administration that has been there for a long time. They take their school very seriously and get to know each girl and family.

Cons: Recently, the school has grown tremendously. This means that they have to hire newer, and sometimes less seasoned teachers and there is well over 100 girls per grade. They still keep each class a normal size, but it can be a little overwhelming. This con seems to have had more of an effect on the elementary school in terms of the staff knowing each child and responding to parents' concerns. I still feel like the pre-school is extremely responsive when I have any issue that I need to discuss.

I'm not sure what age child you are looking to start. My two older girls went there starting when they were 3, but as the school grew I didn't feel comfortable sending my 3 year olds to such a large school, plus it's very expensive for a 3-year-old program. Now I don't start them at TAG until they're 4.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to pm me or post it here (although I don't come on regularly) and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

granolamom

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 12:10 am
TAG's 3 yo program is not more expensive than the other 3 yo programs in a 'real' school. I believe they are less than HALB, HAFTR and shulamith. there's plenty of cheaper options, if you look at freestanding preschools, although I think chabad just might even be more expensive than TAG. and of course there's the playgroup option if you can still get into a good one.

amother

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 12:04 pm
Thanks for the responses. I'm not asking about other options or other schools, I am just asking about TAG if anyone has more info/experiences. Thanks.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:40 pm
bump, same questinos as op. specifically worried about how BIG tag is!! please resond with experiences of sending your kids there.

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:44 pm
granolamom wrote:
Yakira wrote:

which preschools do you think are better? I think yeshiva south shore's preschool is probably tops but they dont take girls.
TAG elementary is supposed to be really good but I'm not so sure about their high school. and since most of the TAG elem. grads go to TAG hs, its something to consider, even this early in the game.

in general, the girls' schools here leave alot to be desired

Not true, the grades in TAG HS are much smaller than in TAG elementary school. And TAG HS is a good school (I went to TAG elem and left for HS but from what my friends told me and what I saw from my sister I think the HS is better than the elementary school...)

Sorry OP, I have no info on the preschool for you...

amother

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:45 pm
I'm sure the high school is getting bigger as is the elementary schoo though. looking into it for a preschooler I have to assume by them time they are in hs anyways it will be bigger..

Yakira

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 1:20 pm
Not sure if this is still l'maisah for past couple of posters. I'm pleased to say my daughter is very happy there. WE had a wonderful year with a great teacher, she learned a lot and has really blossomed. Some classes are not run as well. I am not that impressed with some of the folks in charge of the preschool but I like the teachers and school well enough that it doesnt bother me.

If anyone wants more specific info, feel free to PM me.

granolamom

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:
I'm sure the high school is getting bigger as is the elementary schoo though. looking into it for a preschooler I have to assume by them time they are in hs anyways it will be bigger..

when we interviewed for TAG preschool this year, Rabbi Weitman told us that his plan is to expand the high school so that it can accommodate all their eight graders.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 9:57 pm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers