Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Keeping things in perspective:It's all in the head

basmalkah

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 2:04 pm
One day a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people can be. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.

On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?" "It was great, Dad." "Did you see how poor people can be?" the father asked. "Oh Yeah" said the son. "So what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.

The son answered, "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.

We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them."

With this the boy's father was speechless. Then his son added, "Thanks dad for showing me how poor we are."

Too many times we forget what we have and concentrate on what we don't have. What is one person's worthless object is another's prize possession. It is all based on one's perspective. Makes you wonder what would happen if we all gave thanks for all the bounty we have, instead of worrying about wanting more. Take joy in all you have, especially your friends. Pass this message on.

Tefila

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 2:10 pm
Quote:
The son answered, "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.

We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them."

With this the boy's father was speechless. Then his son added, "Thanks dad for showing me how poor we are."

BasMalkah wow and Thank-You!!!!

basmalkah

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 2:13 pm
No problem! As you know I am new here and slowly getting into this. I am beginning to enjoy this! Thought I would share this with you all.
Good Shabbos.

Tefila

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 2:15 pm
Not only will I ia"h try to always apply it but will share it at my Shabbos table!

basmalkah

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 2:16 pm
Great! I am glad to hear this!

Motek

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 2:35 pm
I've passed it on already! Smile

lucy

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 3:04 pm
Thank yo very much for sharing this with us Basmalka. With all our petty posts that we make here SOMETIMES!!! its important to hear something like this! Have a good shabbos.

Rivka

Post Sat, Mar 19 2005, 5:01 pm
The grass is always greener on the otherside. Cute parable though.

chabadnick

Post Sat, Mar 19 2005, 7:27 pm
one day I was complaining and I went to someone elses house...I saw what they had and I felt sick....
they live in a two bedroom apt and have 4 children, I complain about my house as I dont live in the community but neither do they...and they are so happy..I was so jealous that I wasnt as happy as them!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 8:20 pm
Money is definitely not the source of happiness. I know of a family in Crown Heights who have 10 kids Ka"h and were raised in a 2 bedroom apartment as well (they are now all grown up and married). They are mamash the happiest, most chassidish, warm, loving family I know.

I know of a family, although they have money in the family (not them personally) they are NOT happy. They have lot's of problems with the inlaws, kids, and between theymselves etc. etc. To make a long story short they are NOT a happy family.... so there you go, the important thing is to be happy regardless of financial equity.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Mar 21 2005, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 4:07 am
and basmalka, thanks for your post, it's beautiful!

Rivka

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 6:15 am
I think jealousy is a bad trait yes, but it is also a good trait. Like what chabadnick was saying. She wasn't jealous about someone being rich or poor or clever. She was jealous that she did not appreciate her life like these people did and from what she saw, they had less materialistic things.
I think that is a good trait because it shows she wants to changer herself and her attitude to the good.
I think maybe she meant envious, does that make it sound better to anyone?

Ozmom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 6:53 am
yup chabadnick envious is a better word and I respect you for the learning curve you picked up that you are telling us about in your post.
we luv ya.

Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 7:00 am
Quote:
Ozmom wrote:
we still luv ya..

Yes

deedee

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 12:24 pm
what an amazing story! I already printed it out to share Very Happy
I grew up on a farm and now live in the city so I can see the boys perspective.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics