Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Harrisburg, PA?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 1:31 am
Does anyone know anything abuot Harrisburg? Is it a modern community? I'm casually looking into places to move with my family and in the online research I did it seemed like a decent affordable area, but I can't figure out what type of community is there.

How is the job market? How far is it from NY? And info would be greatly appreciated.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 1:41 am
I used to go to Harrisburg all the time for Shabbos and Yomim Tovim...but that was about ten years ago when I was just a little girl. I can tell you one thing: It's an absolutely beautiful area. The Jewish community is pretty close to the river and there is a stunning view. The houses and neighborhoods in the Jewish area are also wonderful, with big oak trees lining the streets and lots of lawn space by each house for kids to play.

I'm not sure about the make-up of the community. We stayed by modern Ortho friends, so that's really the only part of the community I'm familiar with. Unless things have changed, the day school is attended by all the frum kids, whether MO or more black hat.

I think it's about a 2-3 hr trip to NY.

Harrisburg is great! Definately look into it more!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 3:15 am
Is harrisburg in penssylvania or philadelphia??
if it's in pensylvania I'd recommend Scranton bec. the housing is amazingly cheap. both to rent and to buy. and it's a nice community.

brooklyn

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 6:16 am
Philadelphia is a city in PA.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 9:50 am
amother- thanks! Do you know if there are any younger couples that live there?

This is the first community I've mentioned that dh might actually be interested in. The only thing he doesn't like is there's no high school.

SevenSenses- thatnks for the suggestion. I know Scranton is a big, established community, but it's not for us. We are a lot more modern than the people there, and wouldn't feel comfortable.

hila

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 10:48 am
if you pm me I can give you a phone number of someone to talk to. (cousins of mine) they live in harrisburg and are very active in the community

it is a friendly place I have been there several times for shabbat.

It is about a 3 hour drive from newark or 3.5 from Kennedy airports .

The community is pretty spread out and don tlive too near the shul. But there is a friday night minyan where lots of tehm live, and then they do the 30 minute walk on shabbat.

behatslacha

ceo

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 11:01 am
I know someone from there. I can give you contact info, if you like. He no longer lives there, but can tell you about it. I get the impression it's a more modern community, so it might be a good fit for you. I think a lot of the kids board for HS in Philly or NJ. (ie: bruriah, etc). Also, how old are your kids-- maybe there will be a high school by then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics