Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving tips

gr8 mom

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 9:03 pm
I will IY'H be moving in about 2 mths from a basement to a house all in the same area. I would love to get some tips on packing,moving, unpacking....to help the move go as smoothly as possible
thanks!

Lovelymom1

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 9:41 pm
Label each box with a number depending on where it belongs. Post all the numbers on the door of the room and have the movers put the boxes where it belongs. Do not let the mover take valuables like silver, china etc. it might save you a lot of heartache.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 10:18 pm
Lovelymom1 is right, you should number your boxes, but you should also label them with the room that they are going to. Then put big signs on the doors of the rooms if they are not obvious - you may know which room you want to be a kid room or a guest room, but the movers don't. Also, keep a master list of what's in each box, so you don't have to guess if you need something.

Don't pack books and seforim in large boxes - they will be too heavy.

You can get wine boxes from a liquor store - they are great for packing glasses. Wardrobe boxes are awesome for hanging clothes.

Definitely don't pack your valuables - jewelry, silver, computers, etc. Bring them with you in your car.

The best tip that someone gave me when I moved is to pack a complete set of linen for each bed you will need that first night separately and bring it in your car. The first thing you should do once the beds are in the rooms is make them, because by the end of the day you will just want to fall straight into bed. The last thing you want to do then is to have to open boxes looking for sheets.

Oh, and make sure to have toilet paper and soap handy.

If you want to be nice, and you have access to the house before your moving day, buy a bunch of bottles of water and put them in the fridge ahead of time. Your movers will appreciate a cold drink and so will you. And make sure to have plenty of cash for tips.

You didn't mention whether or not you have kids. If you do, you may want to send them to friends or family for the day so you don't have to worry about them being underfoot.

The most important rule of moving is to unpack as quickly as you can. The longer you leave it, the less likely it is to get done. I still have a box or two left unpacked from 5 years ago. embarrassed

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating