Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Chicken soup left out cooling

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 12:17 pm
I left my soup out on Friday night to cool down. It was very very hot - for sure hot enough to burn - around 10:30pm. I meant to put it away at around 12, but forgot (it was still hot) and when I got up at 6:15, I remembered and stuck it in the fridge. It was room temp when I found it, slightly uncovered. The kitchen was pretty cool and it looks and smells fine.

Do you think it's ok?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 12:18 pm
When you left it at 10:30, was it on the stove/plata after being rewarmed? Or was it fresh off the flame from being cooked the first time?

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 12:42 pm
ra_mom wrote:
When you left it at 10:30, was it on the stove/plata after being rewarmed? Or was it fresh off the flame from being cooked the first time?

I turned off the flame after simmering all day (covered) and then boiling the last 5 minutes or so right before I lit, around 7:15 pm. When I first uncovered it at about 9:15 to serve, it was still boiling hot. It was a full 8.5 liter pot.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 12:44 pm
So that's 7:15pm until 6:15am? Close. Not sure.
I usually do up to a 7 hour cool down.

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 12:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:

At 10:30, though, it was still really hot, hot enough to burn my finger if I stuck it in. Do you think 8 hours from then is ok?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 12:51 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

At 10:30, though, it was still really hot, hot enough to burn my finger if I stuck it in. Do you think 8 hours from then is ok?
I don't know. It's prob ok. But I would be afraid to serve it to others. Want to try it first on your own?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 4:30 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
I left my soup out on Friday night to cool down. It was very very hot - for sure hot enough to burn - around 10:30pm. I meant to put it away at around 12, but forgot (it was still hot) and when I got up at 6:15, I remembered and stuck it in the fridge. It was room temp when I found it, slightly uncovered. The kitchen was pretty cool and it looks and smells fine.

Do you think it's ok?

Probably

greenfire

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 5:24 pm
since the kitchen was cool ... I would consider it fine

oohlala

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 7:09 pm
I think its fine. When I make chicken soup I leave it out overnight to cool, since it's too hot to put in the fridge before I go to sleep. sometimes it's still hot in the morning. We have all been fine, bh, and I have served it to guests.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 9:08 pm
Bring it to a full rolling boil, just for a minute, to sterilize it, and you will have no concerns. Especially because it was not tightly covered. Be safe.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 2:06 am
Thanks everyone (esp ra_mom who answered in time for us to have supper last night Smile )!

I did bring it to a rolling boil for a couple of minutes and it looked, smelled, and tasted perfectly fresh. We'll see how today goes Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 8:52 am
Just as an FYI for the future, food left at unsafe temps can have bacteria. The bacteria can also form toxins, and not all toxins are killed by heating the food. Boiling, even for longer periods, is NOT a guarantee to kill everything that can make you sick.

hotmom

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 9:54 am
Chicken soup stays hot for very long after its initial cooking. Second time round-warming up cools it down much much faster.
I cook my soups all day on a very low flame. Most times I leave it overnight to cool down then store. But my bigger concern with your soup is that it was uncovered. Halachicly speaking we do not eat food that was uncovered overnite!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics