Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
A different spin on MMR dilemma

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:25 pm
So I'm a selective/delayed vaxer. I am not interested in discussing that choice here, you can leave that for the other currently active vaccination thread. After researching a lot, I came to the personal conclusion that vaccines are useful and important, but there is not enough research about the timing and quantity, so AFTER doing as much due diligence research as I could, I decided to go with the gut/common sense that the side effect risks are probably lower when taken less at a time and in certain cases at a later stage of development. My final schedule was to have my babies begin their infant vaccines on time but only get one shot at a time, switching off, and more often (I.e. one every month instead of five at once every few months) so that by a year or so they'd be all up to date on the infant ones. MMR I wanted to delay until entering school, chicken pox I am still undecided, and hepB will go when the others are out of the way.

Then measles became a more immediate concern. So now I'm in a bind. Part of me thinks that I should jump the gun and vaccinate my 2.5-year-old, she's already bigger and more developed than at 1 when it was originally recommended, and she was going to get it next year for school anyway. Part of me is nervous about going to the doctor's office, though, because it seems like a much more likely place to pick up a germ. We don't live in the affected neighborhoods but we're not far and there's a lot of going back and forth - we do some of our shopping in Brooklyn on a regular basis and in fact I was going to take DD with me there today except now I'm having reservations.

Am I being silly or logical for worrying about getting measles in the doctor's office?

This is about to become a SB issue too because DH is pro-vax completely and didn't really mind my schedule, except now with measles going around he would never forgive me if C"V any of our kids got it. I'm most worried for the baby because I am NOT ok with giving such a questioned vaccine at a younger age than usually recommended. 2.5 DD I would just give her the shot already.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:30 pm
I would give the older one the MMR now (I also select/delay and give the MMR closer to two normally). If you're just going for the shot, you shouldn't be hanging around the office all that long. Here's what I would do: go with another adult. One of you goes into the waiting room and signs in. Tell the receptionist you'll be in the hallway with the kids. Have the nurse call you in from there when they're ready for you. One adult and the toddler go in. Have toddler sit on your lap and play on your phone if there's a wait time in the room.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:36 pm
Forgot to mention our pediatrician is in a neighborhood that already has numerous confirmed cases in this outbreak. We do not live there, we go there for the great doctors. If I can arrange to have her vaccinated locally without going through a complicated switcheroo, that would clearly be my best choice.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:39 pm
I was also nervous about going in for shots. I think the ped's offices are being very careful about this. At least my ped is...she has a sign posted on the door that if you think your child has measles, do NOT come in but call instead. And someone told me that while she was there a child came in with symptoms that they thought might be measles. They immediately sent out the mom and kid, opened all the windows, and began spraying and cleaning every single surface. So...call your ped and ask if it's safe to come into the office, and what precautions they're taking against measles in the office.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:42 pm
Yeah but apparently it's contagious at least a week before symptoms emerge. Or something. And airborne. So if it's in an "outbreak" area, it's entirely plausible that someone could come in for a well visit and spread it all over the place, or even just sneeze it in your face on the way in. This whole thing is making me paranoid because it is actually happening when I have a baby at home!

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:48 pm
There are chain pharmacies that vaccinate for flu - can you ask if it's possible for them to order the MMR for you and then vaccinate your DD there?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 2:51 pm
2 things-

1- you dont have to give the MMR shot to your 2.5 yr old if only measles is a concern. You can request that she get *just* a measles vaccine and save the mumps and rubella for when you originally planned. I also selectively vax on a delayed schedule and give no combination vaccines. Peds won't tell you it's an option because they have to special order the shot, but most health insurance will cover the seperate doses because they'd rather you vaccinate seperately then not at all.

2- If your husband wants her vaxed, and I'm assuming he is himself, you've solved your problem- let him take her to get the shot! You stay home with baby, he takes big sis, and everyone stays happy and healthy.

Hatzlacha!

tissues

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
2 things-

1- you dont have to give the MMR shot to your 2.5 yr old if only measles is a concern. You can request that she get *just* a measles vaccine and save the mumps and rubella for when you originally planned. I also selectively vax on a delayed schedule and give no combination vaccines. Peds won't tell you it's an option because they have to special order the shot, but most health insurance will cover the seperate doses because they'd rather you vaccinate seperately then not at all.

2- If your husband wants her vaxed, and I'm assuming he is himself, you've solved your problem- let him take her to get the shot! You stay home with baby, he takes big sis, and everyone stays happy and healthy.

Hatzlacha!
I think she was concerned of 2.5 year old big sis catching the measles at the office when she goes in to get vaccinated. That's how I understood the op, so sending her with dh won't really help that.

Peanut2

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 3:16 pm
I was in the exact same situation as you, with a two year old, and we just did the MMR.

I've delayed or skipped some vaccinations, and knew MMR was coming up anyway due to preschool, but decided that with a breakout I should do it. I am happy with my choice.

I came to the doctor's office late, when almost no one was there, so I wasn't too worried about catching it there, but that's a valid concern. See if you can do the two adult thing, or ask to go straight to an exam room if possible. Ask before you go.

Miri1

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 3:35 pm
Can you get the first appointment of the day? Presumably they clean and wipe down the waiting room every evening.

sleepless mom

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 4:40 pm
[quote="Peanut2"]I was in the exact same situation as you, with a two year old, and we just did the MMR.

I've delayed or skipped some vaccinations, and knew MMR was coming up anyway due to preschool, but decided that with a breakout I should do it. I am happy with my choice.

I came to the doctor's office late, when almost no one was there, so I wasn't too worried about catching it there, but that's a valid concern. See if you can do the two adult thing, or ask to go straight to an exam room if possible. Ask before you go.[/quote
]
please check with your doctor because my doctor calls in all the measles patients towards the end of the day Ellen the office is empty

Marion

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 10:57 pm
They won't give a vaccine to a baby under the recommended vaccination age. They give a dose of immunoglobin to boost the immune system. (There was a measles case, just one, in DS#3's daycare when he was around 11 months old.)

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 11:08 pm
I thought I read on the Dr. Sears Vaccine Book website a while back that separate M, M, R are no longer available at all, but if you know otherwise maybe that's worth looking into. First appointment would be in my dreams, somehow getting out the door with my kids (even when leaving one/both home!) tends to take half the day! Rolling Eyes I'm going to try and find out if my insurance will make an exception just for this and let us get it at a doctor who isn't our primary, because there are pediatricians in my (non-affected, as far as I know) neighborhood but I don't want to switch everything over.

Marion, in this case they ARE giving the ACTUAL MMR shot to anyone over 6 months in affected areas. They say it's "safe" and the only reason why generally recommended at 12 months is because it is more effective then. I have reservations, anyway.

nylon

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 11:36 pm
They are not available in the US, no. Merck discontinued them in 2008 due to low demand. (There was another single measles vaccine available in Europe but I don't know if it's still the case. It's not licensed here. Merck developed and controls the Jeryl Lynn mumps strain, which is the only one accepted in the US and Western Europe, so there has never been an alternative to Merck's Mumpsvax.)

During serious outbreaks public health authorities have lowered the minimum age for MMR to as low as 6 months. It is less effective the earlier it is given.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 12:03 am
Yes, the kids who get it at 6+ months now will need to get it AGAIN at a year plus the regular booster. Grrr.

tizunabi

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 7:37 am
They do vaccinate MMR under the age of one year but it doesn't count towards the two vaccines that you need to be immune. That's they they suggest only at age one but when there are outbreaks they want to cover so the bases

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 9:36 am
seeker, if the first appt after lunch a possibility? I know my ped sees newborns first thing in the AM or first appt after lunch so the waiting room isn't full and there was plenty of time for disinfecting.

calaflower

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 9:50 am
I don't get it-if the mmr vaccine is not as effective given earlier on, then why even bother giving it at 6 months -even with an outbreak? What's the point of it's not as effective? I've been reading this thread with interest bc my infant's 6 month checkup is next week

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 10:49 am
calaflower wrote:
I don't get it-if the mmr vaccine is not as effective given earlier on, then why even bother giving it at 6 months -even with an outbreak? What's the point of it's not as effective? I've been reading this thread with interest bc my infant's 6 month checkup is next week

because it's better than nothing? not *as* effective doesn't equal not effective

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 10:52 am
It's a big/busy practice, there is no lunch break. Now that it's Monday I'm going to see if I have options.

They would give it just in case it's effective Rolling Eyes Also, it may be effective but then wear off, hence giving it again not too long later.

I'm going to skip it for my baby because she has no social life anyway, I'll just be extra careful now about letting her near unvaccinated babies. It's the older kid I'm concerned about.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics