Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Vaccination Brain Picking Question
  Previous  1  2  3  16  17  18

amother

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 9:02 pm
I see. The vaccine today is not the same as the one in WWII! It's changed a lot! Plus, the drop means in comparison to WWI! Only 3 percent were infected!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 9:04 pm
Tetanus actually started declining before the vaccine came out. So the drop had nothing to do with the vaccine.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 9:15 pm
what's next, rabies?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
Tetanus actually started declining before the vaccine came out. So the drop had nothing to do with the vaccine.

Your point? You truly wouldn't take your child for a tetanus shot if they stepped on a rusty nail? You truly are convinced it is not effective at preventing the disease from developing?

I truly don't understand this refusal to accept modern medicine.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 11:32 pm
I did state that if I felt my child was at a higher likelihood of contracting tetanus, such has having a deep puncture wound that can't b cleaned properly or what not, I would absolutely give her the Tig but not the tdap.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 11:36 pm
My reply regarding the decline in tetanus cases prior to the vaccine, was a response to amother at 8:02.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 12:09 am
amother wrote:
http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4220.pdf

Can a person get tetanus more than once?

Yes! Tetanus disease does not result in immunity because so little of the potent toxin is required to cause the disease.

So you don't get immune to naturally occurring tetanus, but you do develop immunity to a tetanus vaccine. hmmmm

They also state that out of the 12 case-patients who contracted tetanus HALF had received no prior toxoid. IOW 6 did and 6 didn't but they all got tetanus. I'm curious to know how many of those case-patients had resulting affects or died from tetanus.

Your stats are meaningless, and if you depend upon this kind of drivel to support your medical decisions, I have no doubt that you make poor decisions.

First, the tetanus shot wears off over time for most people. So the fact that someone received a tetanus shot at one time does not speak to whether it was up to date. In fact, if a tetanus shot was given more than 5 years earlier, it is recommended to get another one after certain types of injury. Almost every case of tetanus in the US is in a person who was either not vaccinated, or who had not had a booster in 10 years.

Second, you don't take into account the prevalence of inoculation in the population. If there is an 80% inoculation rate, then the rate of infection is vastly greater in the non-inoculated population.

Also, you don't develop any immunity to a tetanus vaccine. It wears off. A booster shot will recreate the immunity. If you developed an "immunity" to the vaccine, a booster would not work.

As for your rather silly argument that the rate of tetanus (and presumably each and every disease) was magically declining at precisely the same time as the vaccine came into use, in 1988, WHO estimated that 787,000 newborns died of neonatal tetanus (NT). The tetanus vaccine was first used in 1917. Next argument?
[b]

amother

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 7:13 am
Just to say the stats are copied wrong and misrep. She copied the complete statement right after that txt. If you do the math, there was a 97% drop in cases from WWi to ii. Of those 3% who were still infected, 1.5% were vaccinated. Just do a bit of division! The vaccination in WWII was a great success! In addition, it is not the same vaccine that we give today. Today, is more pure, slightly differ make up and has fewer inj side effects.

princessleah

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 1:09 pm
Page 18 of 18   Previous  1  2  3  16  17  18 Recent Topics