Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Can 10 month old drink 4 oz pedialite on a daily basis?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 2:51 pm
My baby is nursing at home and getting expressed breastmilk while at the babysitter.
Baby has cut back on bottles. Going from 3 a day down to 2 a day. Replacement hydration is necessary. Baby likes the apple flavored pedialite but doesn't like apple juice as much.
Can I safely serve pedialite each day?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 3:29 pm
Why don't you give formula? Pedialyte is not meant to substitute for nutrition. If its just for fluid, give water.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 3:52 pm
Baby won't drink formula. Obviously likes breastmilk better but doesn't like it from the bottle/sippy cup. Eats solid breakfast and lunch at babysitter with breastmilk mixed in. Then later in afternoon snacks on baby puffs and needs something to drink. Breastmilk, formula out. Lactation consultant suggested fruit juice as baby refusing all milk and water. But when I send the pedialite baby is happy. And when I sent apple juice baby didn't drink and came home very thirsty. Not good especially in the summer.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 3:56 pm
Well, you're going to have to get him to tolerate something other than breastmilk. I strongly recommend water, unless you need something more nutritious (which fruit juice and pedialyte are not). Why don't you ask your ped?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 4:18 pm
Drinks water from a regular cup, but obviously that's not a form of feeding adequate amount of water for a 10 month old. Babysitter can't sit with baby for an hour until 4 oz go down with cup.
Baby needs motivation to drink from sippy cup/bottle.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 4:21 pm
There's absolutely nothing wrong with drinking from an open cup. He shouldn't be downing 4 oz of water at a time anyway. Offer him a few sips every 20 minutes or whenever he indicates. What's the problem?

cookiejar

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 7:38 pm
I think you are basically asking if you can replace nutrition with juice, whatever you name it! Pedialyte is just a variation of juice, not sure if better or worse. Ask you dr - maybe she is getting enough! By 10 mos, my babies were nursing less often and eating only a little bit of solids, and did not drink any bottles at all. And that was enough for them, calorie-wise - you must ask your doc, it is an issue of nutirtion. Pedialyte vs. apple juice is not the relevant question here...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics