Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Does you're child go to camp OORAH?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 17 2013, 12:47 pm
and do they like it? are you a torah mate? thanks

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Jun 17 2013, 12:50 pm
I was a Torah-mate at one point.
It's a great camp.
You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 17 2013, 1:07 pm
My daughter is turning 14 in august and has been to girl zone every summer since she was 8 with the exception of last year, when we were in israel. And last year in israel we went to visit staff from her earlier years who had moved to jerusalem and they are no longer oorah involved but were so happy to spend time with us, and this to me is a great example of how incredible the staff is!

also, last week, one of the head staff drove in from out of town to our daughter's graduation, since there were two oorah girls in the class. what a lovely surprise!

It is an outstanding camp, with outstanding staff and they keep the kesher all year long. I am a torahmate and have been for three or four years now.

Oorah does everything first class. They provide amazing programming and my daughter looks forward to camp all year. She leaves sunday!

feel free to pm me.

my son also went to oorah but only for two years. he still thought it was great!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 1:56 pm
Great camp but water is not good at camp . you can buy water bottles from the camp for cheap

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 2:00 pm
I just asked my daughter and she says that the bunk water is never cold but it tastes ok and that the water in the dining room is colder and its fine.

I think that anywhere you go water tastes different and that the water is safe to drink, but may taste different than what you are used to.

mom26

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 10:44 am
My daughter is working in Oorah's camp this summer for the first time. She is so excited to connect with children that have no real exposure to Judaism. I have also been to the camp for a Shabbos a couple of years ago and I was so impressed by the warmth and caring that the counselors showered on their campers. The campers were also very open about their positive experience with Judaism (many for the first time) and I came home so inspired. Oorah really does a great job in the world of kiruv and the camp Oorah runs is amazing!!!!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 11:17 am
one of my daughters is at Oorah now. We are a frum family & not a recent kiruv family. My daughter has some friends who have been going to Oorah & she went on a shabbaton & got very excited about it. At first I was hesitant, because I thought it was only for girls who are just starting to learn about yiddishkeit. I spoke with the staff running it & was assured that there is a mix of girls from frum homes & girls who are newly m'kareved there.

They have a lot of fun and give individual attention to every girl, which is something my daughter really responds to. This includes individualized learning, which I am hoping will be motivation to my DD. She has some learning difficulties, and when she went to the regular girls camps, did not accept being pulled out to learn separately, even though she really needs it.

I think you have to look at your child & the camp & see if it seems like a good fit. This is true of any camp you would send to.

epavard

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 6:26 am
Oorah is amazing. Full confession, I just started working for their fundraising arm, but since I live in Israel, am unlikely to ever take advantage of the oorah camp or other Oorah programs. Since I just started working there as a communications writer, I had to familiarize myself with all the various programs and activities, so spent the day watching camp Oorah clips yesterday, with my kids hanging over my shoulder practically drooling with jealousy. I told them, "They have Oorah camp, we have the Koisel." :-)

The camp is just beautiful, very state of the art and there isn't ANYTHING they don't have. But I was also really touched by the achdus between the staff and the kids who clearly are of all backgrounds. I know the staff started the summer with a seminar on treating all children with respect, no matter what. I really like that. I wish we had something like this in Israel.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 8:15 am
the camp updates pictures of the campers daily for parents to see

amother

Post Fri, Jun 28 2013, 2:14 pm
the food at camp is great but if you are a vegetarian their is not much to select from

amother

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 12:40 pm
if you stay on the following month you have to pack your stuff and move to another bunk

mom26

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 3:43 pm
My daughter worked the first month and she has been home now for 2 weeks - she is a real zoniac now - singing the songs all day and she is dying to go back for a Shabbos - they really do things right in Oorah's camp!!!!!

bnm

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 8:05 pm
amother wrote:
if you stay on the following month you have to pack your stuff and move to another bunk

we had that in the chasidish camp I attended too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children