Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How much do you pay your NY ( FR 5T) full time help?

a1mom

Post Mon, Jul 01 2013, 5:39 pm
what's the going rate for a live out approximately 40 hours a week? do you give car fare on top of that? any paid time off/sick days/holidays, and average holiday bonuse

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jul 01 2013, 6:30 pm
I pay $14 an hour for 15-20 hours a week to clean and take care of 3 kids. ...but she is amazing and worth every penny....not sure about 40 hrs.....it would be quite expensive....my guess is 10?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 01 2013, 6:45 pm
I live in Brooklyn. I pay $10/hr. I don't give paid vacation, but will pay for the day if she needs a day off or if I'm not available for help for any reason. I also give 4-5 weeks of unpaid vacation during the summer. On Yom Tov she works fewer hours and often gets a day off as well. I give a bonus before Pesach and Chanukah time.

nyer1

Post Mon, Jul 01 2013, 7:15 pm
Depends where you are and what the job entails
My nanny is full time watching my one year old and does light cleaning And laundry for 10 an hour in manhattan. She's not a great cleaner so I ended up now hiring someone else once a month to do a more detailed job of cleaning...she also charges ten

a1mom

Post Mon, Jul 01 2013, 7:22 pm
Quote:
My nanny is full time watching my one year old and does light cleaning And laundry for 10 an hour in manhattan.

does light cleaning entail dishes, pick up, make beds/change linen, sweep, windex bathrooms and food prep?

Yakira

Post Mon, Jul 01 2013, 8:40 pm
Obviously it depends on the person and what they are willing to take -- I found when I was looking for a babysitter (I live in FR), some people were looking for more than $10 but some were ok with 10 - but more importantly they wanted a 'number' - many quote $350 and some $400; IOW they didnt even care about the hour amount or how many kids, they just wanted to come out with X amount of money. I also noticed once you hit the $400 mark you can almost get 45-50 hours for it whereas under that it has to be closer to 10 an hour. I pay salary which means even pesach and if I have off, but sometimes I leave big kids so it evens out.

a1mom

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 6:59 am
Thanks Yakira!

preempservices

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 7:44 am
Far Rockaway, $10/hour, very limited English. I "share" her time with another woman/household.
Strictly cleaning/housekeeping. No paid vacation. 1/2 week bonus before holiday and 1 week Pesach (I think)
She lives locally so no carfare. I do try to do occasional favors. At one point it was buying things via mail order and deducting from her pay since she does not have a credit card. A ride home in bad weather - or car service. Whatever accommodations I can do.

sima

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 7:52 am
Wow, I can't believe how little you guys are getting away with. I have a teenager to watch two kids and she charges 12 an hour, doesn't clean or touch a thing. An adult for 2 kids is 15 an hour.

so 14 dollars for 3 kids and cleaning, or 10 for one kid and some cleaning is like really cheap, from my experiences. Well, I"ve never had any cleaning help, couldn't afford it.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 1:36 pm
I live in Lawrence. 2 kids in school most of the day and a toddler at home all day (starting school in September iH). 50 hours/week babysitting/housekeeping. I pay $400 per week. Paid legal holidays off plus a few odd days here and there paid over Yom Tov. No pay if she calls in sick/doesn't show up for whatever reason on her end.

a1mom

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 5:15 pm
Quote:
50 hours/week babysitting/housekeeping. I pay $400 per week. Paid legal holidays off plus a few odd days here and there paid over Yom Tov. No pay if she calls in sick/doesn't show up for whatever reason on her end.

does she work for you at all over yom tov? like say will she come for a few hours each day to wash dishes, sweep, straighten up? or do you give a week off succos and pesach. I'm asking because I'm currently paying about 330 a week combined to send my child to a shared babysitter and for a housekeeper for 3 hours a day M-F to cover afternoons and cleaning and was wondering if it made more sense to try and find someone full time and possible have someone drop off their kid here a few hours in the morning to cover the difference.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 9:52 am
a1mom wrote:
Quote:
50 hours/week babysitting/housekeeping. I pay $400 per week. Paid legal holidays off plus a few odd days here and there paid over Yom Tov. No pay if she calls in sick/doesn't show up for whatever reason on her end.

does she work for you at all over yom tov? like say will she come for a few hours each day to wash dishes, sweep, straighten up? or do you give a week off succos and pesach. I'm asking because I'm currently paying about 330 a week combined to send my child to a shared babysitter and for a housekeeper for 3 hours a day M-F to cover afternoons and cleaning and was wondering if it made more sense to try and find someone full time and possible have someone drop off their kid here a few hours in the morning to cover the difference.

She comes on yom tov unless I tell her not to (in which case I pay her regardless) and washes dishes, makes beds, freshens up while we are in shul and during the seuda, and then will occupy the kiddies while DH and I nap/chill/whatever.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 10:10 am
10 an hour. Comes to 450 a week but when she leaves early or comes late misses hours she does not get paid. She gets off thanksgiving, new years, and Xmas. Everything else she can take off but doesn't get paid. Is this unreasonable? We feel 450 a week 8:00-5:00 is good so we don't have to give her extra days off ect. When we were away pesach we paid her for half the time - and she was happy/surprised. She's been with us less then a year if that makes a difference.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 10:23 am
I'm not at this point yet but may be something we'd consider in the future and I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm curious about the same area --- where do you all find someone you can trust to be FT with your children and in your house?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not at this point yet but may be something we'd consider in the future and I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm curious about the same area --- where do you all find someone you can trust to be FT with your children and in your house?

it's very difficult.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 6:08 pm
My current lady was just cleaning for me for about 3 months before I left my son with her, I can be in an out with my job so I popped in all the time to keep tabs etc, once I felt comfortable then I started leaving him. I still am in an out now and can get home earlier some days and work from home while she watches the kids, at this point after 2+years I will leave her home for a few hours with the kids, if it got to the point where she was home a full day I would still want to check in, I trust her, but I don't trust anyone with my kids full time except my family, anyone else, school, babysitter, housekeeper needs to know that the parents are involved and watching...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry