Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How long can chicken soup stay in the refrigerator

rosey

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 12:43 am
until I should freeze it?
does this change if it's been reheated a couple times?
how long for the chicken from the soup? (any change if put into another recipe, like stir fry and recooked, a couple days later?)
how long for veggies from the soup? (any change once pureed, for baby food?)
before being eaten from the refrigerator does it have to be heated to boiling? for how long?
TIA!!

kalsee

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 12:56 am
If you are going to freeze it, do it as soon as possible. Vegetables don't usually defrost well (soggy, mushy)
If you want to use it up slowly, only heat up the part you want to use. Better not to reheat the whole pot a few times.
Chicken and vegetables should be set aside and reheated with the soup (or separately). Better not to keep it in the soup the whole time.
pureed vegetables freeze fine, but try to do it as soon as possible after cooking.

Personally, I wouldn't keep chicken soup in the fridge for more than 3 days, maybe less if the veggies are sitting in it.

Didi

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 1:04 am
I keep my soup in the fridge for two full weeks without the veggies.

rosey

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 2:29 am
Thanks for your thoughts. So if the meat, and veggies are not in the soup, how long can they stay in the fridge? What if I used the meat in stir fry or chicken salad? How quickly should I finish that dish?? Anyone out there have experience with this?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 8:26 am
If you plan on freezing, do so now.

Unless I know I will be using all of the chicken soup, I strain and divide up the clear broth right away (the cooked chicken and vegetables do not taste the same once frozen) into containers and freeze them, so that I can have super fresh soup when I need it.

As far as keeping chicken soup in the fridge (with or without veggies), up to 5 days.
Best if whatever is needed is reheated in a small pot, so that the entire soup doesn't keep getting rewarmed.

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 4:52 pm
Bumping this cause I am too lazy to start a new thread.
Will soup be ok if I had chicken in it and it was in fridge for 4 days? it was fully cooked and will be cooked more.

SS6099

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 5:54 pm
If never rewarmed, 4 days is perfectly fine.

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 5:58 pm
What about the chicken? I want to use it for chicken knishes. Will it still be good?

SS6099

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 6:23 pm
If never rewarmed, it should be fresh.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:01 pm
Yes, it should be fine.

Happy2B1

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:03 pm
I leave my soup with veggies and chicken in the fridge for the week and then use it for the second shabbos. It all tastes perfectly fine. Matza balls I wouldn't use/keep in the pot. Those don't last the week.

I used to make sure to freeze right away or I'd toss a couple days later and then this prim and proper lady told me I can use it for a second shabbos. If she does then so could IWink
I'm glad I heard that. Saves me lots of time...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen