Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Should I take my DC to the doctor?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 12:35 am
My DC has been sleeping a lot lately, more than 12 hours which DC usually has done. Do you think that that is reason enough to go to the doctor? I am just worried that perhaps DC is lacking in some vitamins or something. Said DC is 5.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 12:37 am
Does your child have any other symptoms?

Has s/he been playing outside a lot?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 12:38 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Does your child have any other symptoms?

Has s/he been playing outside a lot?
No other symptoms except more tired than usual.
No, the playing outdoors is pretty much the same as always.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 1:51 am
Sometimes summer time / Camp is more exhausting than school . Both in terms of the heat and physical exertion.
If she is not acting tired/ lethargic during the day, I probably wouldn't run to the dr.
If she is acting tired even with 12 hours of sleep, I would get it checked out.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 1:55 am
What she said.

Make sure your child is getting enough to drink (water, not soda). It also doesn't hurt to start giving a multi-vitamin if you haven't already.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 1:57 am
Could be a growth spurt is coming. If she suddenly becomes ravenous and eats everything in sight, you'll know that's what it is. DD always has very dramatic shifts in her eating and sleeping patterns, and then seems to grow an inch overnight.

Other than that, I second all the advice above.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 4:09 am
Could she have been bitten by a tick?

chani8

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 7:02 am
Dehydration?

simchatomid

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 7:13 am
If you really feel that the exhaustion is out of character, it doesn't hurt to discuss it with your pediatrician. They might just do some simple blood work to ensure that it's just the extra-tiring summer schedule thats making her more tired. Hatzlacha!!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 8:20 am
What someone else said- day camp can be more exausting. They do a lot of physical activites and swimming can knock you out too. When did it start? Is she tired already in the morning or only later in the day? Is she cranky? Moody?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 8:25 am
flowerpower wrote:
What someone else said- day camp can be more exausting. They do a lot of physical activites and swimming can knock you out too. When did it start? Is she tired already in the morning or only later in the day? Is she cranky? Moody?
this camp has no pool, it is indoors, its sort of just a continuation of gan but with counselors and a few different activities, thats all.
She is only really tired in the morning, she has been sleeping later and later than she usually did.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 9:25 am
Do you live in a grassy, woodsy place like Lakewood or Monsey? Check her body all over for ticks or tick bites, if only just to rule it out. Google it first so you know what you're looking for.

octopus

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 9:44 am
is she drinking an abnormal amount? going to the bathroom all the time? lethargic? then I would go to the dr. asap for blood work.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 1:24 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Do you live in a grassy, woodsy place like Lakewood or Monsey? Check her body all over for ticks or tick bites, if only just to rule it out. Google it first so you know what you're looking for.
Not at all, in a very dry area in Israel. And no woods where I live.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics