Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Things to do in monsey area

amother

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 7:24 pm
Anyone have any ideas of things to do or places to go with dh in monsey area?

TIA

sara53

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 7:37 pm
If you are a man, there are a hundred or more nice nice shuls, batei midrashim, shiurim, Tishim, chasidishe hangouts.

If your a lady, shop, eat out, watch the grass grow LOL

Seriously, you both might like Purple Pear or the Italian restaurant in Wesly Plaza

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 7:50 pm
Theres a nice park called Kakiat Park on Route 202 - they have nice hikes (pretty easy ones, but nice).

amother

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 8:55 pm
Palisades mall
Walk around willow tree park

amother

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 8:58 pm
ice skating indoor trampoline palisades mall

Maya

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 9:00 pm
sara53 wrote:

Exactly. There is absolutely nothing to do in this part of suburbia. There isn't even a single museum to visit.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 9:49 pm
Maya wrote:
sara53 wrote:

Exactly. There is absolutely nothing to do in this part of suburbia. There isn't even a single museum to visit.

I know. Isn't it wonderful! Just sitting outside now listening to the crickets chirping and watching the deer grazing on my neighbor's lawn (and browsing imam other of course ;-) ). I love it!!!

Anon to keep my place of residence private ;-)

Maya

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
Maya wrote:
sara53 wrote:

I know. Isn't it wonderful! Just sitting outside now listening to the crickets chirping and watching the deer grazing on my neighbor's lawn (and browsing imam other of course ;-) ). I love it!!!

No, I don't think it's wonderful at all. I go to the city at least once a week so I can stay sane.

gold21

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 10:03 pm
LOL maya, when I saw the thread title, my immediate reaction was to write " nothing".

There is not a lot to do in Monsey. There's a Chuck E Cheese if you're into that kind of thing, and there's bowling, but that's about it. There are pizza shops if you just wanna get out a bit.

Otherwise, try the Palisades mall or go to Paramus, which is not far, and check out Century 21.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 10:13 pm
Maya wrote:
amother wrote:
Maya wrote:
sara53 wrote:

No, I don't think it's wonderful at all. I go to the city at least once a week so I can stay sane.

So we are very, very different lol. If I HAVE to go to the city I feel like I've experienced sensory overload. If I would live there I think I wouldn't be sane.

Seriously, start a garden, ride a bike, take a hike, go fishing.... it's summer there's TONS to do.

thatworn

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 10:15 pm
Nothing to do in Monsey. Everything's been covered. Eating or shopping. People are sometimes quite rude in the shops tho, so if you're not used to that, just be prepared. Yes, parks or malls OUTSIDE of Monsey are an option. If you're in certain areas of Monsey and sit still for awhile you might be able to do some groundhog or deer observation. In other areas of MOnsey you could sit at the side of the road and marvel at how Hashem protects us, with toddlers racing into street, school buses whizzing past cars parked at crazy angles and cars randomly stopped both sides of the road to pick up hitchhikers or to just stop seemingly for no reason and no one getting hurt. That's it.

gold21

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 11:13 pm
Come to think of it, why is there so little to do in Monsey? There really is a need for good parks, childrens museums, indoor soft play, etc.

Merrymom

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 11:26 pm
Jill's Ceramics
Apple Picking
Bounce
Rent a pool (check the back of Community Connections, there's many options) or go to RCC for swimming
Walk around downtown Nyack and go see the harbor and the shops
Thursdays in Nyack there's a very nice farmer's market
Boulders baseball game
New City bowling
Tons of cafes and restaurants
Watch a movie/ Imax
Visit a park

There's tons to do here if you know where to look and even more if you're willing to travel 30 minutes out of Monsey.

Merrymom

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 11:28 pm
gold21 wrote:
Come to think of it, why is there so little to do in Monsey? There really is a need for good parks, childrens museums, indoor soft play, etc.

There are tons of parks, there is an indoor play space by West Nyack Road and NJ Children's Museum in not more than a half hour away, tops.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 1:59 pm
There are many parks in the West Nyack area if you enjoy the water. Haverstraw County Park was affected by Sandy so you can't really sit by the river now, but in West Nyack there are still a number of spots. And there are a number of nice parks nearby for kids to enjoy.

mandr

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 2:40 pm
Maya wrote:

There's a holocaust museum in the Finkelstein Library. I beg to differ - there is tons to do here. Even not in Monsey proper, but a short drive away.

I like going to the Hilton hotel in Woodcliffe Lake with my husband where we have a "date" and then play pool. I also love to play pool at Lucky Strike in Palisades Mall.

Shopping in a different supermarket each week (we've done all the Shoprite stores within a 7 mile radius already! Now we're doing Stop & Shops).

Eating out: favorite places are Al di La, Mandarin and Purple Pear.

Having a photoshoot in a park like Willow Tree, Rockland Lake, or Haverstraw. We have a ball taking pics of each other (no kids yet).

Making a bbq at Rockland Lake. Also rollerblading there (or at Willow Tree).

Going to Botanical Gardens in Sloatsburg (it's like 25 minutes from here).

Jill's Ceramics. I go myself because dh isn't too interested, but one day I'll make him come along!

Going to book sales at the local libraries. They have these events several times a year. We come home with sacks of books and pay like $10!

Btw, we once had a couple from Brooklyn spend a Motzei Shabbos with us. The somewhat-snobby wife was like, "Come on! Is there anything to do here in Monsey???" So I'm like, "Well, tell me five stuff you can do in Boro Park in Motzei Shabbos!" and she couldn't name anything other than pizza and bowling. So we have all that here too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics