Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How do you get your 2.5 year old to take her med?

cinnamon

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 8:40 am
My daughter needs antibiotics. I tried everything to get her to take it, talking, bribing, holding her down and forcing her but how can you make someone swallow?
My dr. showed me how to use a sringe and put it in between her cheek and her teeth which helped a little but still I only get maybe a half a dose in each time.
What do I do???

mandksima

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 9:02 am
For the first time, my 2 1/4 yr old dd took her antibiotic without having to be held down and forced. She watched my 5 year old joyfully take it straight from the syringe and she wanted to do it too. I had to help her hold it while she squirted it in but she hasn't made a fuss. I don't know if it will help to tell your dd to do it all by herself but maybe she'll be interested. I used to think my dd didn't like the taste and that is why she fought so hard but she likes the taste just fine - I think it was an independence thing. Go figure!
Good luck!

saw50st8

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 9:05 am
I lay the child on a counter, pour in a bit with a syringe at the back of the mouth and make sure their face is towards the cieling so they have to swallow.

cinnamon

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 9:39 am
Thanks. I'll try both you suggestions!

animeme

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 2:47 pm
I imagine OP figured it out (I hope so!). People should know that you can get amoxicillin in chewables. For some kids, doesn't help, and you have more control with the liquid. But I know that two of my kids hate liquid meds, and they'll chew and swallow the chewables. I also find them easier to hide if neccesary. They also have the potential benefit of not needing to be refrigerated. You tend to have to ask the doctor for them specifically, though.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 2:50 pm
ava the elephant - I saw this online to dispense meds to kids

Flower Girl

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 3:36 pm
I force the meds into the mouth by lying the kid flat face up and then I blow at their face. That forces them to swallow to catch their breath. I don't know if its a good idea to force medication that they will need to take for a while I think modeling good behavior with either yourself or older sibling is a good idea. I use the above tactic when I have a screaming toddler and I need to get Tylenol in to get the fever down. Good luck!

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 4:50 pm
have a special drink ready for her to quickly drink right after she quickly swallows the medicine ...

amother

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 6:57 pm
google ava the elephant it is a easy way to get kids to take medicine

amother

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 6:59 pm
flower girl--- THE WAY YOU DO That the kid can choke Banging head Shooting Arrow Cheers ChillPill Pale

Redbird

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 9:55 pm
Swaddle her nice and snug and cozy so she can't battle. Then when she cries you can quickly get it in. (srynge is a great idea) and afterward give her a massive hug! Works for me.

tsiggelle

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
flower girl--- THE WAY YOU DO That the kid can choke Banging head Shooting Arrow Cheers ChillPill Pale

I think I don't usually post this to amothers, but this post should not have been anonymous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics