Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Early Intervention Question

IloveHashem613

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 2:28 pm
My son just started getting speech therapy through early intervention and I'm new at this whole thing. So my question for you moms of kids who get EI, do you stay with your child and the therapist during the session and watch the whole time? Is that expected of me? Let me just clarify that of course I want to watch and see what she's doing with my son and how he's progressing but sometimes I have other things to do while he is getting therapy so I end up popping in and out of the session. I think its becoming a little distracting for him for me to come in and out so I'm not sure if I should ask her if I should stay in or out the whole time. I don't want her to think I don't care how my child is doing, but I do want him to get the optimal therapy but at the same time I want to know what she's doing each session as well. What is generally expected/done with EI therapists? Does she expect me to stay in the whole time or is that considered "overbearing"? Please clue me in, mothers and therapists as well. Thanks

21young

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 2:39 pm
Early Intervention is called family-based therapy for a reason. In the beginning for sure you should be sitting through every session. The once or twice a week that your son gets is not teaching him to talk, it's the techniques that you learn from the therapist and implement in real life that will get him there. Prepare yourself in advance with the mindset that for this hour you are at work, you can not answer the phone, check the laundry, etc. After a while you can pop in and out, but I strongly believe in parent cooperation.
My son has been getting therapy for almost 2 years, and it is only now that I have started doing other things sometimes. There is no way my son would be where he is if I didn't sit through each session and work closely with the therapists.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 2:41 pm
I stay during the session. The whole idea is that you should be doing follow ups during the week which is much harder if you haven't observed. Also I've heard many therapists comment on how it's sad that parents view EI as free babysitting. It doesn't sound like that's your attitude but I have this fear of the therapist saying that about me Very Happy If it's possible for you to arrange your schedule so things don't come up during that hour that would probably be best.

IloveHashem613

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 2:42 pm
21young wrote:
Early Intervention is called family-based therapy for a reason. In the beginning for sure you should be sitting through every session. The once or twice a week that your son gets is not teaching him to talk, it's the techniques that you learn from the therapist and implement in real life that will get him there. Prepare yourself in advance with the mindset that for this hour you are at work, you can not answer the phone, check the laundry, etc. After a while you can pop in and out, but I strongly believe in parent cooperation.
My son has been getting therapy for almost 2 years, and it is only now that I have started doing other things sometimes. There is no way my son would be where he is if I didn't sit through each session and work closely with the therapists.

Thanks, that makes a lotta sense. I guess I wasn't sure what exactly was expected of me and I didn't want to put the therapist on the spot or make her think I didn't care what was going on during therapy (I absolutely do!) by asking her directly. I appreciate your answer.

Beingreal

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 2:44 pm
My son is getting therapy 4 times a week from early intervention for physical,occupational. vision and developmental therapy. I sit through the sessions to see what I can do to help him get to where he needs to be.

21young

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 2:45 pm
IloveHashem613 wrote:
21young wrote:

Thanks, that makes a lotta sense. I guess I wasn't sure what exactly was expected of me and I didn't want to put the therapist on the spot or make her think I didn't care what was going on during therapy (I absolutely do!) by asking her directly. I appreciate your answer.

It sounds like you have the right approach. Just the opposite, I have a very good relationship with my son's therapists but they know that I am very on top of things, and I think that knowledge makes them prepare more than they may for the kid whose mother is never there. When they see I'm working hard they do, too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics